Saving heavily spiked audio- one option at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Saving heavily spiked audio- one option

A couple years ago I shot a some footage out in the rain. It was alot of fun, and the footage was good, but the audio was filled with spikes from the raindrops hitting the nylon cover. I finally edited it into something presentable, and had decided to just buckle down and manually wrestle with the spikes, as least getting them out of the red 0dB zone.

The audio was recorded on one side of a stereo track...an AT897 into the right channel on the Sony V1U.

I first changed the setting from right channel to centered. After doing that on all the clips, I reviewed the piece and discovered that by splitting it out to both sides, the 'magnitude' had dropped, so there were no more spikes, and everything was coming in around -6dB.

Problem solved. You can check out the final result here.

Let me know what questions you have, if any.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite