DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 14th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Compression

I recently encoded a DVD on H 2.64 and when I went to put it into DVD studio Pro it wouldn't let me because it was a .mov file is there anyway to encode on a H 2.64 and not have it be a .mov file? Can I even put the H2.64 encode in DVD studio pro?
Tom Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

To answer your last question first, no. DVDs need mpeg2 files not h.264 which is for the obsolete HD-DVD format or BluRay. While DVDStudioPro has the ability to create HD-DVD discs, they are of extremely limited usefulness if you could even burn one. To make an HD disc, you have to make a BluRay which is only supported on the Mac in limited ways. If you have a BluRay burner and Final Cut Studio 3, you can make a simple BluRay directly out of Final Cut or Compressor but not DVD Studio Pro. For slightly more BluRay authoring capabilities, you have to purchase Toast 10 with the BluRay option. For full authoring, Adobe Encore is the way to go. And you will need a separate BluRay player to check the finished disc as Apple will not pay Sony the BluRay licensing fees. And Sony, for some reason, will not make a BluRay plug-in for the Mac even though they could charge for it and make a decent amount of money.
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks William appreciate the help.
Tom Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite