DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Trustee

Creating an SD-DVD from HD Source

I've been working exclusively in HD for the past three years and I'm dumbfounded how quickly I have forgotten how to do the most basic things in SD, or more specifically DVDStudeoPro [which I have avoided like the plague].

I've been creating Blu-ray rushes through "Share to" which also works great for the occasional SD-DVD, a producer just asked me for 10 SD-DVD copies.

I copied the Audio TS and Video TS folders from the SD-DVD I created through the "Share to" process and that didn't work, though it did play in one of my DVD players it wouldn't play on the Mac or PC so I'm guessing this is not the right way to do this.

What is the easiest way to burn 10 SD-DVD's? I don't need to author the DVD, no need for menus or chapter markers etc., just play.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A SD-DVD is a ISO 9600 formatted disc, a very old formatting technology. DVD players will not recognize anything else as a DVD disc. If you used the normal Mac disc burning program built into the finder, it's the wrong format for DVDs. You can use the disc copy function in Disk Utility to make identical copies of your first DVD.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
A SD-DVD is a ISO 9600 formatted disc, a very old formatting technology. DVD players will not recognize anything else as a DVD disc.
Video DVDs are NOT ISO 9660.

Video DVDs are UDF version 1.02. Many DVD players will NOT recognise ISO 9660 file systems or any other file systems.

DVD Video MUST be authored using a UDF 1.02 file system (and NOT a later version like UDF 2.0 or 2.5/2.6).
Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for taking the time to reply, however, both answers are Greek to me. I'm just looking for an easy and efficient way to make copies of DVD's that aren't authored.

I just created them using the "Share" drop down menu so they just play when you insert them into a DVD player.

How do I accomplish this on a Mac?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Video DVDs are NOT ISO 9660.

Video DVDs are UDF version 1.02. Many DVD players will NOT recognise ISO 9660 file systems or any other file systems.

DVD Video MUST be authored using a UDF 1.02 file system (and NOT a later version like UDF 2.0 or 2.5/2.6).
Yes, absolutely correct in one way, I was thinking of an firmware updater disc I had to make for my Sony DVD recorder last week. That was pure ISO 9660 or the recorder would not load the firmware. DVDs are UDF files on top of a ISO 9660 directory. A straight ISO 9660 will not work.

Regardless, learning how to use Disc Utility would be very beneficial. Use it to create a disc image of your DVD and then burn the disc image to create a clone of the DVD. The instructions are on your computer. Programs like Toast do this with less steps but you pay for the ease of use.

Last edited by William Hohauser; October 4th, 2010 at 02:36 PM.
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Trustee

Just in case anyone else needs this information:

This was provided by Jude Cotter at LAFCPUG
• Open DVDSP.
• Make sure you have the correct settings for your desired output and country. If you make changes, start a new project.
• Find the 'Assets' tab at the bottom left.
• Import your footage here with the 'import' button
• Find the 'Graphical view' window' above this
• Select the blue menu button and hit the delete key to remove it
• Drag and drop your imported footage from the Assets tab to the green track 1 box
• Right click on the green box and choose 'first play'. This makes the DVD just start up with this vision
• Burn

Here is a Tutorial of the same process thanks to Strypes at LAFCPUG
DVD Studio Pro | Strypes In Post

This is exactly what I was looking for, fast, easy, and uses the software I already have.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite