DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Out of sync in viewer/timeline, but not final render or quicktime

Out of sync in viewer/timeline, but not final render or quicktime

Working with the standard def DV codec, and have a file which appears out of sync in the timeline, and in the viewer, but it is perfectly in sync viewed in quicktime.

It seems to be the video that is drifting, rather than the audio, as I used a piece of video from the file and when I rendered it, the video has slipped and was the wrong clip (but from close by).

Shot and editing in 24p

In the past I have just recaptured, but it never seems to be a guarantee. I have had this problem a lot, and never fully understood it why, always just going back to make sure that we were capturing the footage correctly (we have been capturing with a cheap camera that has given us problems, but I don't know if that is it).
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

SD doesn't have perfect image & audio sync, and shooting or capturing on a cheap camera might exaggerate the sync loss. I just used to slip the footage back into sync. It's typically only a few frames off, so if your sync is greater, you may have some kind of other issue.

If your lack of sync gets gradually worse over the course of the video, your audio may be playing back at 44100 KHz instead of 48000. Check the clip's audio setting in your browser. This would explain why it would play fine in Quicktime and not in FCP. (Maybe the default for this setting was changed in your Sequence Settings, or your Audio/Video settings under A/V devices.)
Allen White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite