DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 26th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recompressing HDSLR Footage

I just acquired a Nikon D7000, my first foray into HDSLRs, and I am trying to create an editing workflow for it.
I see a lot of reference to Mpeg Streamclip on this forum, does it basically do the same as recompressing your source footage using the media manager in FCP? Any reason to use it rather than the media manager?
When re-compressing my source footage (H.264) using the media manager, the resulting Pro Res 422 files are several times the size of the original source files, any way around this? I see an investment in more HDs coming my way.
Thanks as always for your help.
Rich.
Richard Siberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Siberry View Post
I just acquired a Nikon D7000, my first foray into HDSLRs, and I am trying to create an editing workflow for it.
I see a lot of reference to Mpeg Streamclip on this forum, does it basically do the same as recompressing your source footage using the media manager in FCP? Any reason to use it rather than the media manager?
When re-compressing my source footage (H.264) using the media manager, the resulting Pro Res 422 files are several times the size of the original source files, any way around this? I see an investment in more HDs coming my way.
Thanks as always for your help.
Rich.
If the Media manager is working then MPEGStreamclip is not going to help except If you would like to pre-edit your clips before converting to ProRes. And to answer your last question, no, there is no way around converting to ProRes unless the Nikon (I confess ignorance here) creates AVCHD files that the program ClipWrap, can turn into FCP compliant QuickTime files. Research that, download the demo version and if it works, set your sequences to render in ProRes. Then you can save room and only make large files when you render effects and filters.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite