DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 20th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Snow Leopard and FCP

I'm getting ready to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Are there any compatibility issues I need to be aware of? Any glitches?
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Advice

My strongest advice, and this after having had endless problems with the FCS Suite using the latest MP and ProRes projects, is that you do a complete fresh install on a brand new drive of your (new/Snow Leopard) operating system, your edit software and plugins. I've just probably had bad luck with my workstation configuration but you can sidestep a lot of issues by taking a deep breath and starting from scratch. Avoid the headaches in advance!

The only other issues I've heard of that more than a few people have suffered from are that some of the recent ProKit software updates have deleterious effects on some of the FCS suite. It varies for different people but some have found solace by reverting from ProKit 6.x to ProKit 5.1.

I'm also beginning to wonder if I have yet another dodgy ATI card (HD5870), given the graphical issues I'm getting, so make sure you're happy with yours, whatever you use.

Just my 2 cents.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Trustee

I'll second the fresh install of everything. I didn't do it and a month later had an issue which the experts at apple said couldn't be resolved and that I should just wipe and reinstall. Since then, it's been flawless.
Old December 21st, 2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Trustee

.....whereas I just repaired permissions etc BEFORE doing an UPGRADE and had no problems at all.

So, Upgrades can and do work, but understand that IF you have problems that can't be explained or fixed then a clean install MAY be required.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite