Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SmoothCam help

Hey everyone,

I want to apply the smoothcam effect to a 15 second clip but the analyzing time says 16 hours. I think it's analyzing the whole clip which is a 1 hour continous shot (from a wedding) I've seen the feature "make independent clip" would this work and how do you apply this feature? Thanks in advance for any help.

Darryl Murphy
Darryl Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What system? Settings?

Smooth cam takes a looooong time. As long as you apply the filter onto a clip in your sequence, you should be doing it correctly.
Brandon Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Darryl, you need to export the 15 second clip as a new quicktime movie, import it, and apply smoothcam to that shorter clip.

When you drop smoothcam on clip the plugin needs to analyze the entire clip in order to do its job. It doesn't care that you only want to smooth a short portion.

Here's a slightly longer workflow that improves on what the workflow above will give you. The problem with smoothcam is that it assumes you want a clip to start and end relatively static. The result is the motion seems to accelerate at the start and decelerate at the end of the clip once smoothcam has been applied.

The solution is to do the same as above, but add a "handle" of about half a second at the start and end. Then once smoothcam analysis is done, tweak the parameters of the filter to your taste. Then export this clip as yet another clip, and re-import this new clip. Set the in- and out-points to match the original clip.

For this workflow it helps to work in a lossless codec - I wouldn't recommend it for, say, HDV.
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Find a friend who owns Motion, and use that instead! SmoothCam is horrible, both in result and in time required.
Allen White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, I'll try it right away.

Darryl
Darryl Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite