DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 5th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Batch renaming video clips in a folder?

I've been given a hard drive, with about 500 gigs worth of footage on it. While they placed everything in folders, corresponding to the locations, and whether its camera A, B, or C. But the clips themselves, in each folder, are just the random number generated by the cameras themselves. Is there some way to batch rename each clip to correspond to the folder its in? Like a folder titled Cove Bay Camera A, could I batch name each clip CBCameraA1, 2, then so on, without having to goto each individual clip and typing the name?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm guessing the clips/files are in OS folders, not FCP ones? So the question is about renaming files in Mac OS?

Assuming OS renaming, a clever guy could do it with Automator (comes with your OS) I suspect, but for a few bucks you could buy a renaming utility designed for the job.

A Better Finder Rename 8: The Batch File Renamer for Mac OS X

Isn't there an instruction in FCP to force a renaming of your clip to match the names in Finder? Which would close the loop, so to speak.

HTH

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite