DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 17th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Time code in transferred clips doesn't match timecode in L&T

So, after logging hundreds of clips, I've noticed that the imported clip is different than what I'm capturing.

If I enter 20:10:10:05 in Log and Transfer, that same image shows up a few seconds earlier in the transferred clip, showing up, let's say at 23:10:08:00. It also means my clips are all messed up since they all start and end a few seconds early.

I'm using FCP 7.0.3 and Snow Leopard.
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #2
Trustee

I'm not 100% sure on what you are doing wrong here. Can you give us a step by step of what you are doing and seeing?
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Major Player

What format is this? What camera is shooting it?
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's AVCHD shot with a HMC-150. To make matters weirder, apparently, it's doing it just with some clips on the card. What shows up in the Log and Transfer window is a few seconds or sometimes just frames earlier than what shows up for the same time code after I transfer the clip. Meaning, the same time code shows different images. If I transfer a bit of the clip, the transferred clip's image starts later than I want, even though the timecode is the same as in the Log and Transfer window. Simply put, what might be 22:20:10 in log and transfer shows up as 22:20:18 in the browser.

That said, some of the other clips on the card seem to work fine (although I'm now paranoid and checking each one after transferring which takes a lot of time...) I have never noticed this problem before. Last night I trashed my preferences and restarted but this doesn't seem to have solved the problem. I shot in 1080 at 24p.

any thoughts?
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Trustee

I've transferred hundreds of hours from HMC151s and never noticed this problem.

Are you setting in/out point in L&T or always capturing the entire clip?
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm setting ins and out points....
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Trustee

can you give us a screen show of the L&T window and one of the FCP project once you've brought in a clip that you think is wrong?
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Osband View Post
It's AVCHD shot with a HMC-150. To make matters weirder, apparently, it's doing it just with some clips on the card. What shows up in the Log and Transfer window is a few seconds or sometimes just frames earlier than what shows up for the same time code after I transfer the clip. Meaning, the same time code shows different images. If I transfer a bit of the clip, the transferred clip's image starts later than I want, even though the timecode is the same as in the Log and Transfer window. Simply put, what might be 22:20:10 in log and transfer shows up as 22:20:18 in the browser.
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that these clips are a little bit corrupted. It could be a problem with the card, it could just be a random thing. After you backup your cards, you should format them. If the problem continues to occur, buy new cards.
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Re: Time code in transferred clips doesn't match timecode in L&T

Here are two screen grabs. Log and transfer is a little bit ahead. I'm inclined to think it's just a corrupted file. This is the only time in the many hours I've used this card I've had this problem. I always format when reusing. I now kind of wished I hadn't gotten the Patriot card.
Attached Thumbnails
Time code in transferred clips doesn't match timecode in L&T-log-transfer.tiff   Time code in transferred clips doesn't match timecode in L&T-viewer.tiff  

Noam Osband is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite