Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Replacing background

Hey everyone,

I recently shot some hair tutorials that will end up as a dvd set. The problem is the makeup guy/art director didn't want it to look like we shot in a salon. He wanted to shoot against a white wall. The obvious problem that he didn't understand was shadows from the talent on the back wall. The ceiling wasn't high enough to bring the lights high and I didn't have enough space to compensate on the shoot, so I wanted to know if there is a way to remove the background and replace it. I took a full shot of the white wall with nothing else in it just in case I can fix this. I'm using FCP 7. Thanks in advance for any help.

Darryl
Darryl Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Replacing background

You can possibly color-key some of it out. Of course you should matte out the big areas first before you apply the key.

White is a lousy key color -- it's everywhere in a shot, since it's the main highlight color, as well as in areas like people's eyes. And the wall shadows won't be white, in any case.

This is not going to be fun to fix. Matting around hair is about as bad as it gets.

I suggest getting a copy of After Effects (or borrowing somebody else's machine with a copy), since it has much more powerful color-key tools than FCP.

And here's a great free FCP matte plug-in. Takes some practice to use, but works very well:

50 Point Bezier Matte

Another idea -- crank UP the white levels instead, and matte out anything not white -- go for that "in the matrix" look.

Good luck.
Allen White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks! I'll try it right away.
Darryl Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Should have mentioned -- try the Luma Key filter instead! It may solve your problem, or at least be a better solution.
Allen White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite