Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Hard Drive Question

Hello DV Info Community,

The Final Cut Pro software package has been a tool in my post production arsenal since version 2 was introduced; so my editing skills are I guess okay, someone did refer to me once as a diamond cutter, but recognition for good work I would hope - would present itself as a job. Unfortunately, finding one of those in these times is easier said than done.

Since one's own perception of what's been created can differ greatly from that of the general public's viewpoint, throwing myself to the proverbial wolves for ridicule is something I yearn for, because that is one of the many avenues available that can lead to solid growth in our abilities.

Now for my Technical question, I hope it is general enough:

If I am running mostly external HDD's, and run only 2 internal HDD's in my desktop each one being 1tb in size but with one drive having a 32mb cache, and 7200rpm, and the other drive having 16mb cache, and 5400rpm, keeping in mind that all of my media drives are "HFS Extended Non - Journaled", and my system drive is journaled, which of these 2 drives would the brilliant minds of the DV Info community decide to use for the system drive, and or the internal media storage drive that stores completed media, music, movies, images?

I had the misfortune of tripping, and falling into three totally separate, but completely related career fields, Cinematography, Post-Production, and how in tarnation I managed to, (like I said - fall), into a decent paying photography gig that took me all over the country for about 7 years, and brought me back to my home state while at the same time provided some of the the most thorough , and consistent, and practical photographic instruction possibly rivaling that of the Brook's Photography Institute in Santa Barbara, California.

The
Sorry for Rambling, It's a mystery as to why

So would my archival material would be better served up when needed l archival storage is
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Hard Drive Question

Get a 2nd 7200rpm drive; use the 5400rpm for backup only. 7200rpm is the minimum hard drive speed recommended by almost all video editing software. It's also generally recommended to use separate drives for your OS and media.

- If you don't want to get another drive, I'd run the OS & media off the 7200rpm, and use the 5400rpm as backup.
- If you really need to use the 5400rpm drive, then use it as the OS drive and keep your media on the 7200rpm drive, but even then, I'd file that under "worst case scenario".
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Hard Drive Question

Awesome, I was leaning that way anyway, but I needed a second opinion.

The thing about these drives, you can never keep any media/content of any kind on your system drive. Of course that would lead some to think that their system drive does not warrant 1tb of space, however, in my experience, I have found that hard drives work well until they get more than half full. computer takes to much time where to put stuff when the parking lot is full, so I keep my drives only half full, even my media drives. I have almost 8tb of external FW800.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite