Blurring during quick movement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Blurring during quick movement

OK, I am pulling my hair out over an issue I am having with a sequence. I have numerous clips, both HDV and DV in a single sequence (my "show intro" sequence). The sequence itself is set to NTSC DV, Lower Field Dominance, with Compressor set to DV/DVCPRO - NTSC. This sequence is then nested into the master sequence (the "full episode" sequence), which has the same settings as the show intro. When played in the Viewer, all looks fine. I even exported to a self-contained Quicktime Movie, and it looks fine. However, when I export to Compressor using the DVD - Best Quality 90min, the resulting DVD has issues. The clips in my show intro that were originally HDV and include any type of quick movement are all "blurred" or "streaked". I've tried messing with various settings, but I can't seem to fix it. I just can't figure out why it would be fine in my exported .mov file, but have issues on the DVD. Anyone?
Brian Grossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Re: Blurring during quick movement

Brian,

Unfortunately the "best" setting in Compressor is far from actually being the best, most especially with sequences that have a lot of motion in them.

What you need to do is two things:

1. Go into your encoder tab in the Compressor setting and uncheck all the "auto" settings and force the frame-rate and field dominance to exactly what you want it to be. A "progressive" setting will yeild the best results however you'll have to decide this for yourself based on the tests you do.

2. Go into the "Frame Controls" tab and turn on the controls, set them to the same settings you see in the screen-shot.

The really bad part is that when you boost all these settings as noted the time to encode your sequence will increase exponentially, so count on letting Compressor do it's job a lot longer than before.

Let us know how this plays out for your results.
Attached Thumbnails
Blurring during quick movement-c-setting-1.jpg   Blurring during quick movement-c-setting-2.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite