Can't Find Settings Answer for 60D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 17th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can't Find Settings Answer for 60D

OK, if this is somewhere easy to find, please direct me, I can't find this answer. What settings in FCP 7 do I use for 1920x1080 24p? I'm confused because there's an option that says "HDTV 1080i (16:9), but I DON'T WANT the "i" for interlaced, right? I want a "p" for progressive. Do I set it to "custom" for frame size then?
Attached Thumbnails
Can't Find Settings Answer for 60D-settings.jpg   Can't Find Settings Answer for 60D-settings2.jpg  

Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Can't Find Settings Answer for 60D

I've never worked with 60D footage, so I could be way off base for this.

Can't you just drop the footage into a time line, and allow FC to conform the sequence settings to the footage? That way you don't have to change any settings. I am a newbie to FCP, but just finished a project, where I had footage from 4 different types of cameras, I imported the footage, dropped the first clip into the time line, and allowed FC to adjust settings to my footage settings.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, you're right. I was combining two different synced clips and got all confused as to the settings I should set and forgot that once I put the silly things in the timeline FCP will set it anyway. I still don't understand why FCP chooses 1080i though. Makes no sense to me.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Maxwell View Post
Yes, you're right. I was combining two different synced clips and got all confused as to the settings I should set and forgot that once I put the silly things in the timeline FCP will set it anyway. I still don't understand why FCP chooses 1080i though. Makes no sense to me.
Again, don't know if this is correct info, but I thought I read someplace (went to look for it, but couldn't find, to reference here), that the 60D supports the many different frame rates, but they are all wrapped in a 50/60i wrapper, so the 1080i setting from FC may just be showing that.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The footage coming off the 60D is in H264, which isn't really edit friendly. I think you'll find FCP running poorly. The footage should first be converted to a ProRes format before you put it in the timeline.

Maybe someone else will confirm this, or hopefully set us straight.
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes, absolutely convert 60D footage to ProRes! I use (LT) and others all over the web say it's indistinguishable from HQ but much smaller for our type of work.
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Maxwell View Post
I'm confused because there's an option that says "HDTV 1080i (16:9), but I DON'T WANT the "i" for interlaced, right?
Note that this is the option for "Frame Size" not editing timebase or field dominance. "HDTV 1080i (16x9)" is a standard frame size. 1920 lines by 1080 columns, that's it.

So you have the correct Frame Size setting, just make sure that the editing timebase is 23.98, the field dominance is none, and the pixels are square (which is exactly what you have) and you're good to go.
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Eric!
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite