Day for Night: It's already shot but the script has changed... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Day for Night: It's already shot but the script has changed...

Very low budget short film. Shot a scene in an office building with natural light coming in from the windows. Now script changes require the scene to be at night, so I need to do it in editing (FCE).

Again this is a Very low budget production. Just a bunch of guys from work and a video camera, so I don't need cinema quality (that will be the next one), just a way to show people it's at night.
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Day for Night: It's already shot but the script has changed...

Hi Ivan.

Off the top of my head, I'd say to try (using your Color Corrector filter in FCE) darkening the image and tinting it towards blue and then see how it looks.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #3
Major Player

There are some filters and plug-ins that can do this also, but bear in mind that even in high-end productions (like say in the movie 'Deliverance' or a more recent example in the movie '28 Weeks later') day-for-night never really fools anyone, so dont expect great results.

The technique is usually used outdoors by the way. So if you are doing it indoors it will look even more unusual. For instance are the lights meant to be on in the office, or are they in the room with the lights off at night?

The light coming in through the window could be made to look like moonlight, if the lights inside are meant to be off. If not the best way forward would be to re-shoot the scene.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Trustee

Yes make it more blue and flatten the contrast to take the edge off the daylight coming in thru the window.

I shot loads of day for night on a small indie horror a couple of years ago and we shot in cloudy conditions and just set the camera to tungsten balance so it made it look blue.

There is also a free FCP filter here: Download Day for Night for Mac - Add night effects to your video footage. MacUpdate.com
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Tourist

I did some Day for Night on my Short film (outdoors) and used After Effects for it all. based on your short description, I would recommend you rotoscope the windows and D4N those. But, you will still have that ambient light coming in from the windows to worry about. That's going to be all about Color Correction as others have mentioned increasing the blues.

Do you have a still from a scene you want to D4N so we can get a better idea?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite