DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 21st, 2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Apple hdv laptop editing

A while back (December) someone asked if it was practical to edit HDV on Apple laptops and back then people deemed it too difficult. Is that still the case? I move around A LOT and I'm thinking of getting an Apple laptop today. With enough memory and harddrive is it possible/practical to edit on Powerbooks now? Thanks
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:40 PM   #2
Wrangler

I haven't tried this on my powerbook, and doubt that I will since it's a 1ghz model. But I'm sure it's quite possible to edit HDV with FCP 5 on a laptop. Just realize that you will be at the bottom range of what Apple specs for this application (1ghz G4). I think I would be frustrated by this after getting used to my dual G5/2.5ghz. Any kind of video editing will really benefit from dual processors and a G5.

If you have to use a laptop then you really don't have a choice. But also realize you pay a real premium to buy a laptop when you can get a G5 iMac which is nearly twice the speed for about half the cost. Of course if you're really serious about HDV you'll want a dual G5 Power Mac, but that's not very portable. The main reason Apple is switching to Intel processors is that they haven't been able to build fast enough laptops with the available Power PC chips. Unfortunately it will be another year or two before that gap is going to start closing.

See also the following threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48506
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49208
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite