External Color Calibrated Monitor with Final Cut Pro FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #1
Major Player

External Color Calibrated Monitor with Final Cut Pro FCP?

I'm looking into these two monitors to do color correction on when using FCP 7. I mainly do wedding videos that go to Blu-ray and DVD.

I have a recent Mac Pro Quad Core / ATI Radeon HD 5770.

Right now I'm using 2 consumer monitors but want to replace my LG with one of the two options below..

Will these do the job. I don't want to have to upgrade until the monitor is dead or obsolete.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676418-REG/NEC_PA241W_BK_MultiSync_PA241W_BK_24_Widescreen.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/706684-REG/Eizo_S2433WH_BK_FlexScan_S2433WH_BK_24_1_LCD.html

Do I need a video card and do I get "10-bit" playback on the calibrated monitor with or without the card?

Please add any additional info that I may want to know.

Thanks!
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: External Color Calibrated Monitor with Final Cut Pro FCP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
I'm looking into these two monitors to do color correction on when using FCP 7. I mainly do wedding videos that go to Blu-ray and DVD.
You'll need a monitor that can support the native color space of blu-ray and DVD. For blu-ray that's REC.709, for DVD that's REC.601.

In computer monitors there are very few that meet that challenge. The http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651901-REG/Eizo_CG243W_BK_ColorEdge_CG243W_24_1_Widescreen.html does, and I think some others in the Eizo line do as well. Also, the HP Dreamcolor does. There may be others, IDK. I don't know of any NEC monitors that can do it however.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Trustee

Your first problem is that FCP cannot output accurate color via the video card (your ATI). This issue is something Apple discussed a few years ago and I believe, is in the manual.

Now, for a decent setup for FCP, you need a Matrox Mini which can output 8bit RGB or 10bit YCbCr but no 'High Quality' LCD under $2k can display 10bit (Eizo CG243W - which I own). FORGET the stupid color calibration tool in the Matrox as it does NOT work.

Next, you need an i1 calibrator. I bought the 'LT' version which is their cheapest at $140 and only does not have as many software features as the more expensive version, but they have identical hardware.

Lastly, you need a LCD, like Bruce said, that can be calibrated to Rec 709 and 601. The best bang for the buck is the Eizo CG223W which is the little brother to my CG243W. They both can display 10bits via DisplayPort BUT you need an OS, a program and a video card that all support 10bit. However, don't get caught up on 10bit as it doesn't benefit your type of work.

All in all, you are looking at $2,000 for a VERY high quality setup. OR you can forgo the i1 for a few months and use the factory calibrated presets which include sRGB, SMPTE-C (aka Rec 601), DCI and Rec 709. I just re-calibrated my Eizo and found the preset 601 to be extremely accurate, but the brightness must be turned down to 20 or 25% (I can't recall at the moment) which roughly equals 100 cd/m2.

Hey Bruce. It seems that you and I have become the defacto 'experts' on color spaces and monitoring around here ;)

I cannot take the time to explain everything I know, so, please search my name and 'CG243W' to see what I have said to others.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Steve for your valuable information. I'm now just able to buy this equipment but want to make sure I'm doing it the right the first and hopefully last time.

Is this the card I need: Matrox MXO2MINIT MXO2 Mini with Thunderbolt Adapter | Full Compass

i1 Calibrator:

Monitor:

Any other suggestions are welcomed..

Thanks,
Kelly
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
The CG241W does not have a preset for Rec. 709. The CG243W does. This implies that the 243 will give you more accuracy for editing video.

Also note that the 241 uses DVI, while the 243 uses DVI and also DisplayPort.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Bruce, would the Matrox I have in the link above work?

Cables I would use?
Computer to Matrox: DVI-I to HDMI
Matrox to Monitor: HDMI to Displayport

Thanks,
Kelly
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

Hey. Are you guys saying that even using the old school firewire to dv cam as a/d converter, out via svideo or composite to monitor, you dont get accurate colors from fcp? Or did you mean something else?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #8
Major Player

BUMP

Also, do I need to install anything on the back of my Mac tower like a HDMI input?
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Ive read that color house have been using Panasonic plasma tvs, for color correction. From my research, you would have to have an ISF calibration (to 709 color space) done on the plasma tv, and it will get you 95% there. It's not a perfect setup. I've read the color houses use the plasmas as client viewing monitors. And some people are adopting them as monitors in their grading setup. As was stated above, you would still need a card in your Mac, to output the correct signal, over hdmi, because FCP cannot.

This is the option I have chosen for my home setup. I haven't purchased yet, but will in the near future. As I've said, it's not 100% perfect, but I'm not producing Hollywood features either. But I believe it will give me the options I need for grading th stuff I am doing.

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Jeff for your response. Do you have any model numbers that you recommend. There are so many cards out there I'm afraid I will buy the wrong one. I have no experience in what setup I would need to get a proper signal to my monitor, so your recommendations on what models to get would sweet! :)

Thanks.
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Major Player

Again, I am no expert on this, but what you are wanting to do is something I am also interested in doing. The MXO2 mini, you linked above should do the job.

I've been told a card as simple as this, will get the correct signal out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/495426-REG/Blackmagic_Design_BINTSPRO_Intensity_Pro_HDMI_and.html
Since I'm on a tape less workflow, and I'm only looking to get a signal out, the blackmagic is probably the way I'm going.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Major Player

Also as far as which Panasonic plasma to get, there is also a debate over the professional series, that B&H sells vs the consumer version (vIera 3D version). I'm wanting to add a 40 inch Panasonic to setup.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite