FCP not seeing your camera? Try this - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 31st, 2006, 08:25 AM   #16
Major Player

I had a lot of trouble making FCP play nicely!

Eventually the only way I could get everything to work was to start from scratch.

Read this thread for details.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #17
Regular Crew

HD capture

My mac is a 4x2.5 GHz PowerPC G5, running FCP 5.1.4. I have Sequence Preset set to HDV-1080i60, Capture Preset set to HDV, Device Control Preset set to HDV FireWire Basic, but Final Cut Pro still isn't recognizing the HDV tape in camcorder (sony HVR-A1U) (connected by firewire) for capture! Anybody have a suggestion?
Cindy
Cindy Konits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #18
Major Player

Have you checked your camera settings? I don't remember what you need to do with the A1 off the top of my head (I do remember though that the menus are HORRIBLE), but just make sure you've got all the right options selected (HDV, Downconvert Off, etc.). Most of the time it's the settings hidden away in the menus that are giving you grief.

Once you're sure the camera is set up and ready to rock-and-or-roll, then try dumping the FCP preferences (see: http://fcprescue.andersholck.com/). Use "Easy Setup" to get all the right capture settings.

Also, maybe try changing the firewire cable or using a different firewire port.

Hope this helps...

Chris!
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #19
Tourist

same problem, different versions

i'm having this same problem. fcp is not seeing my gl1.
i'm running fcp 4, quicktime 7.1.6 and OSX 10.3.9.
will the quicktime trick work for me? update something? don't update?
i'm a newbie here & don't want to mess anything up...
thanks.
Sarah McMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #20
Major Player

Have you gone through all the usual steps to try and narrow down the problem?

- Looked at any of the official Apple Final Cut help sites?
- Checked the Final Cut preferences/settings/options?
- Checked the camera settings?
- Updated everything (Final Cut, Mac OS, Quicktime)?
- Tried capturing using iMovie?
- Tried a different camera?
- Tried a different firewire cable?
- Tried a different computer?
- Trashed the preferences?
- Reinstall Final Cut?
- Reinstall Quicktime?
- Complete System Reinstall?

Have you captured successfully previously using this system and/or camera? If so, what's changed?

Best of luck!

Chris!
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Just bought a brand new Intell Mac Pro OSX 10.4 with latest Final Cut Studio 2. So thats FCP v6.0.1 and QuickTime 7.2 and it wont work with my Sony HVR-V1E ! I found this an astounding issue to hit. The camera has worked fine on my WinXP box running Adobe Premiere Pro 3 so it never occured to me that the Mac, with all it's fanfare about being so easy to use would just not work with this popular pro camera. I call Apple and they just say it's not supported and won't tell me if it ever will be. So dilema now is do I sell the camera or the Mac!

So come on Apple, this is such basic stuff to get right! If you dont want Adobe to steal your crown, fix these silly compatability issues.

Kevin
Kevin Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #22
Wrangler

Something sounds wrong there. When they say a camera is "unsupported" it means that it has not been tested and approved by Apple. I think quite a lot of cameras fit that description but nevertheless they work fine.

I am on an older version of FCP, but AFAIK the V1 should be fine. There used to be an issue with 24p, but I thought that had been fixed. I suggest starting a new thread in this forum with a more descriptive title, like "V1 compatability with FCP" and you should get some helpful responses.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #23
Regular Crew

OK that's good news, I was trying to encode 1080i not 25p (we have 25p in UK not 24p) so will start a new thread with more detail of the issue.
Kevin Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM   #24
New Boot

I'm now having the same problem, FCP will not see my XHA1. But if I goto iMovie HD it see the camera. I don't understand what's happening here. Any help?
Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM   #25
Major Player

What version of Final Cut Pro are you running?

Has it worked in the past? What's changed? Did you update Quicktime/FCP?

Have you double checked your settings in both FCP and on the camera?

Have you tried trashing the preferences?

Chris!
Old November 23rd, 2007, 06:00 PM   #26
New Boot

Hey Chris! I'm running FCP 5.1.4, yes it's worked in the past. I think I found my problem. The past footage was recorded in SD mode I think, I just recently change the setting in FCP's preferences to HDV in capture and it recognize it for some reason. My latest footage was recorded in HDV 24F and I think that was the problem. I still had FCP set to the below settings that were good enough for SD capture, I guess?

Before changing here was the settings:
1 The XHA1 in VTR mode.
2 FCP was set to DVCPRO HD Firewire.
3 FCP capture was set to DV-NTSC.

Then I set it to:
1 The XHA1 in VTR mode.
2 FCP HDV 1080i 60 or 30.
3 FCP capture to HDV.

Then it worked, I could have it a little backwards because I'm not at my main workstation, but I think I got it, I'm going to trying it again to make sure. If not I'll be back here need help from you all pro's....lol... I'm still a newbie but I'm coming along. :) Thanks a million.
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #27
Inner Circle

My daughter has been using a JVC sr-vs30 deck with Final Cut Studio 1. For some reason it is no longer capturing from the Deck. FCP doesn't complain when it comes up and System Profiler say it's there. But the capture window only shows colorbars and says the preview is disabled.

She's tried everything except re-installing Quicktime.

QUESTION: Will the reinstall of Quicktime wipe out her Quicktime Pro registration from FCP studio that shows up as Pro Apps in the Quicktime registration window?

Last edited by Les Wilson; July 5th, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest House View Post
She's tried everything except re-installing Quicktime.
I don't think messing with QT is going to solve anything. This sounds like an issue between the deck and FCP. Somewhere, in FCP or in the deck, a setting is probably wrong.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Just a followup... Nothing worked... This is a nice dual (VHS/DV) deck unit and I was reluctant to get rid of it. When installing it at another location, I opened the manual and happened upon a section under Edit From Camcorder (p57) that had a Note about the DV interface. Turns out there is a dubbing direction button that needs to be set to send the VHS signal to the DV side of the deck. This is required in order to capture VHS off this deck's firewire interface. FYI to others who have the same problem.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Non-Linear Editing on the Mac

Hello,
any Z-7 filmer with FCP 5,
after 6 years editing SD, I just tried to set up for HDV / Z7. Most settings are straight forward, but with the device control setting I stumbled: there is a setting for HDV firewire, then Sony HDV firewire, then Sony RS-422, then RS-232 (4 settings) + 3 more Sony settings
Apple suggests to look at their website in case of problems, I did, but to no avail.
Other settings are clear (HDV 1080i 25p, Field Dominance: NONE, etc).
When closing the settings box, FCP vanishes from the desktop! Something stirs!
Your help is very much appreciated.
Gerd.
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite