DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM   #1
New Boot

FCP or Soundtrack?

Getting ready to edit a long form doc on FCP, but was considering laying down the narration in Soundtrack from the 16-bit AIFF or WAV files, instead of straight into FCP timeline. Since Soundtrack is a bit more up to snuff, and you can move everything back and forth, no problem, and eventually I'll have to add music and anything else anyway, am I just making more work for myself? Doesn't make it clear in the documentation which is the better workflow.
Just a thought.
Any suggestions,
thanks,
Tracey
Tracey Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Major Player

I do VO editing all the time in ProTools and recently did it in Soundtrack Pro. It was not intuitive for that type of straight editing work at all. I would recommend either doing it in FCP or even better, download a free copy of ProTools Free. It'll take you just a few minutes to learn it, but it's MUCH more powerful of an audio editor than either FCP or STP...and it's free.

http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:16 PM   #3
New Boot

Kevin,
The original VO was laid down in PRO Tools at the studio, and I have my choice of AIFF WAV or DVD to chose from. I don't anticipate doing much tweaking since the levels seem pretty well established. Which file format do you recommend, and do you still stand by the VO laid down in FCP?
Tracey
Tracey Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Personally, I prefer AIFF files, but there is really no huge quality difference. I use both all the time. Not sure what you mean by DVD, but your choices are really AIFF and/or WAV.

If you're just making simple cuts, then I would just bring it in to FCP. It's audio editing is pretty good for an editing program.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite