DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Major Player

23.98 fps opens as 22.52 in QT

I exported an mov file with a frame rate of 23.98 in FCP, but when I use QuickTime to open the file and I go under the movie inspector properties it says the fps is 22.52. To double check that I exported the file correctly I opened it in FCP and checked the item properties and it says it's 23.98.

Why do the fps differ from FCP to QT?

Thanks in advance,
O.D.

Last edited by Oliver Darden; August 8th, 2011 at 01:50 AM.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 23.98 fps opens as 22.52 in QT

Oliver, you're a "Major Player" so you should be well aware we can't help you with that little information.
Are you opening it with QT7 or QTX?
Quicktime X only has a "Movie Inspector" with no "Movie Properties."
Quicktime 7 has "Movie Inspector" and "Movie Properties" windows.
Neither have "movie inspector properties."

So I'm assuming you opened it with QT7 and looked at the Movie Inspector because there seems to be a playback issue, because if it plays fine don't worry about it.

When you play a video with the Movie Inspector open it reports "FPS" (frames per second) and "Playing FPS." Playing FPS is affected by playback ability. If your system can't handle either the size or data rate of the video it won't playback in realtime.

But we can't say what's happening for sure because we don't know what QT version you're using, what OS you're using (Tiger, Lion, etc), what Mac you're using (G4, Quad Core, etc) or what export settings you used (H264, ProRes, etc).

Apologies about being a detail nitpicker, but your computer is a detail nitpicker, and if you don't pay attention to the details you tell us then maybe you didn't pay attention to the details you told it.

I need a shower cause I feel dirty after this post...
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Details: Dual-Core 2.66 / Leopard / QT7 / Movie Inspector / FPS: 22.52 / Playing FPS 24. Export settings on the file are: Apple Photo - JPEG, 480 x 270 / 1 Hour in length / 11.18 GB.

I also checked the file on my friends brand new Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core and it reads the same thing (FPS: 22.52 / Playing FPS 24).

Thanks for the help Jordan, sorry I made you feel dirty. lol

update:
I just checked another file on my computer (shot in 24fps) and Movie Inspector reads FPS 23.98 and Playing FPS is 24 which is correct. No idea why it says 22.51 on the other file.

Last edited by Oliver Darden; August 9th, 2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: update
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sounds like corrupt meta data.
As time consuming as it is you're probably best to re-export the project, depending on who the sequence is for.
First try exporting a non self contained version to save time and to double check that the problem is not with a corrupt FCP project file. Check the frame rate at that point via QT Inspector before converting to a jpeg sequence. If it's fine at that point then use QT to export from that file to your jpeg sequence and everything should be fine.
If the non self contained version reports incorrect frames go back to FCP select everything in the timeline, copy, create a new project, and paste into the timeline. Then check everything again.
Hope it works out... and sorry I was a little snarky in that last post.
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Great info Jordan, thanks! I will try this and report any changes / progress.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite