Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:36 AM   #1
Inner Circle

FCP's .xml/.edl conversion to text EDL?

Hi guys,

Have anyone heard of a utility to convert FCP .xml or .edl binary files, to text edl files that other NLEs (like Vegas Pro 10 I'm on) would open, and interpret correctly?

This is probably a lame question, as I guess were it so easy I'd already know something like this exists - but am asking, anyway.

The reason is someone asked me to complete projects, each consisting of:

- source files
- .fcp project file
-. xml / .edl Editing Decisions Lists

Of course I can start from scratch in Vegas, but it'd be nice to see the preliminary cuts done by the originator; these are multi-camera music film projects and the person who handed them over to me says the first cuts were done following instructions from a person knowing the recorded pieces' scores (so, takes are already chosen of e.g. cello section when it's about to come in, or a soloist when he takes over, etc.).

Also, I'm aware of FCP being able to export several formats of EDL, including txt - but unfortunately have no access to FCP and am not in touch with the original editor any more :)

TIA for any help

Piotr
Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: FCP's .xml/.edl conversion to text EDL?

I thought EDL files were always text files. It's the first time that I've heard about them being binary.

Guide to EDL Management

Perhaps they are compressed with StuffIt or other compressor and don't have the proper extension?
Old August 24th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
I thought EDL files were always text files. It's the first time that I've heard about them being binary.
EDL files are plain text files. So are XML files. For the record, all computer files are binary files. So, by extension, EDL text files are binary. Big whoop.
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, jokes aside, here are Notepad views of a typical binary (or compressed text - I don't know; got it from somebody working on a Mac) vs. text EDL files (only the latter is read by Vegas Pro):
Attached Thumbnails
FCP's .xml/.edl conversion to text EDL?-xml-list.jpg   FCP's .xml/.edl conversion to text EDL?-txt-edl.jpg  

Old August 26th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Major Player

The first is certainly not an EDL list or proper XML. These types are both text files by definition. Somebody who told you that they can be binary files either does not know what he/she is talking about, or wants to make a fool out of you.

You can try changing it's extension to .sit and opening it in StuffIt - perhaps it simply is a compressed file.
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You might be right, Bart - I'm not in touch with the guy any more, so I cannot check on this. Also, have no access to Mac, so cannot try any de-compressor...

Anyway, the first format is unreadable to Vegas Pro, the second is properly read and interpreted.

Thanks,

Piotr
Old August 29th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Here's StuffIt expander for future reference. You don't need Mac to do it :)

Free StuffIt Expander open sit, zip, rar and more

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite