Voice over at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Voice over

I will need to learn how to do a voice over for Final Cut Pro 7. I have a Sony PCM-D50 which I received from Sony for purchasing a Sony EX3. My question is this: Will this recording device be sufficient or should I purchase a devise such as Apogee One for voice overs?
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Voice over

The success or failure of any voiceover consists of 90% script and talent - and 10% equipment.

The finest mic in the world can only make you sound like YOU.

Dont' freak out about the perfect gear. Your voice is created by muscles. Concentrate on building your vocal muscles just like a runner would build up their legs. Start slow, and build over time. Six months of daily practice will get you the same improvement as six months of daily running will achieve for someone who wants to be a good runner.

The mic will record what you actually sound like. If what hits the mic element is hesitant, indistinct, lacks motivation or is simply unconvincing - the mic will record that. If it's firm, convincing, approchable and distinct, you'll be good to go.

The path to a good VO is the same as the path to success at anything else. Practice, practice, practice.

Some simple advice from someone who's done about 1000 paid VO's in my career.

Good luck.
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Voice over

The D50 is a great recording device but the on board mic is not what I would call an ideal voice over mic.

You may be better getting a dedicated voice over mic and even a usb one will open up the ability to use the voice over section of FCP 7 which is excellent as it allows multiple takes to be done to defined sections and more importantly enable the voice to be recorded to the guide picture.

I use it all the time and have a pro tools mbox2 as a USB interface linked to a rode large diaphragm mic.

A rode podcaster would be a better mic as you can get it close to the speaker and it will sound better than the on board D50's mics: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/450171-REG/Rode_PODCASTER_Podcaster_USB_Broadcast_Microphone.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite