DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP 7 Rendering issues. Please help?

I may be exposing my ignorance here but I'm running into an issue that I can't seem to figure out myself. I'm editing a wedding on a timeline using footage from my 7d, 60d, and the XHA1. This is not the first one I've done but this one forces me to rerender every time I make a cut or any edit.

I'm attaching screen grabs of my sequence and my clip settings. Anyone see something glaring that I'm missing that could be causing this?

Your help would be tremendous as I'm working against the clock on this one. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
FCP 7 Rendering issues. Please help?-sequence.tiff   FCP 7 Rendering issues. Please help?-clip.tiff  

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FCP 7 Rendering issues. Please help?

If anyone gets a chance to look at the attached images and give me their thoughts I'd be most grateful!
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Your sequence settings use an oddball anamorphic frame size (1280x1080) that requires non-square pixels, a PAR of some description. Your source clips are regular 1920x1080, with square pixels. My guess is that you should use a sequence setting that matches your source ...

Easy way to do that in future is to drag your first source onto the timeline, and agree when FCP asks if you want to change your sequence settings to match your source.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I agree with Geoff. For a quick fix though, I would create a new sequence and drage one clip over first and "agree" with fcp's timeline settings. Then just copy and paste everything over to your new sequence.
Brandon Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Since you already have to convert the 7D & 60D to ProRes, I'd suggest converting the XH-A1 footage to ProRes too, then everything is going at the same codec & should play very nice in a native sequence environment with the least amount of rendering needed.

(Look into Media Manager tool in FCP for the easiest batch re-compress of footage in my opinion.)

If you don't want to re-compress footage, then figure out which camera will be used the most & use that to pre-set a blank sequence to the auto-FCP settings & then add the other camera(s) to that sequence.
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Perfect. Thanks for the help guys.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite