Exporting to Vimeo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 21st, 2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting to Vimeo

Would it be possible to get an Ann & Barry account of the best workflow to achieve top HD quality, when exporting to Vimeo.

As well as advising on settings to use, would people might advising what tends to happen if I go higher and lower on these settings, as I'd love to learn the in's & out's of all the different options available.

I'm shooting from a 5D MK II, and I transcode all native files to ProRes422 using MPEG Streamline, which I import fine into FCP7. Is there a better setting to use than ProRes422 in terms of quality, or is it just a case of compression size?

Once timeline is complete, I export to compressor. I realise, there is an alternative option of exporting as a quicktime move, so not sure which is best option?.

My current Vimeo settings are at home, so will update post with these late, and it would be great if people could advise where i'm going wrong.

Is there further quality lost on the Vimeo side, and is there anyway of avoiding this?

Cheers
Joe Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Exporting to Vimeo

Joe, if you use compressor to encode H.264 file 720p24/25/30 with a bitrate about 5 mbps, it will not be recompressed by Vimeo.

See here:
Compression guidelines on Vimeo
Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Just use Vimeo's own recomendations Compression guidelines on Vimeo Basically use H.264 MPEG4 1920x1280 5Mbps

Vimeo will always recompress but using H.264 there is little or no loss of quality.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I use the settings Nigel mentions. I export to a self contained file for 3 reasons:
I can keep editing.
I can generate multiple output formats as needed
FCP need not be up to compress
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite