DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 25th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Tourist

MXF files into FCP?

I backed up/copied Canon XF300 footage from CF card to external drive for later use. I now need to import the material into my FCP project. Normal Log and Transfer doesn't recognise the files. (I do have the Canon plug in installed) I get a warning...."MXF contains unsupported media or invalid directory structure"
How can I import the MXF footage?
Ralph Stutchbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: MXF files into FCP?

If it's like most MXF camera's you need to copy the entire directory structure for log and transfer to find them.

It sounds like you just copied just the MXF clips so you will now have to find a utility that can convert them to a format that FCP can read.

I have P2 and if you copy the entire directory structure it will read OK even if you have copied it to another storage device.
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #3
Tourist

This footage had to be "recovered" from a faulty CF card. So, yes, I only have the MXF clips to work with. I can view them with VLC player but can't import them into FCP7. Can you recommend a utility that will be able to handle the conversion? Many Thanks.
Ralph Stutchbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Do you have CS5?
You could import the MXFs to Premiere and export to ProRes.
I had a situation last year where i had 120 clips to convert and ended up importing, copying the project after inserting all clips into the timeline, duplicating the project which stripped out irrelevant files and gathered the MXFs to one folder. Then converted with Media Encoder to ProRes. It was the only solution i could find without spending more money on software.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite