DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Trustee

Multiclip in FCP 7

I have a music documentary project that involves editing a 5 camera shoot of a 30min piece as one element.
My gear is a 2008 165" Macbook Pro Intel Core Duo 2.4 MHz / 4G Ram w an external 24" Dell and a Matrox MXO running on OS10.6.8 and FCP 7.

3 cameras are 23.98P XDCAM EX original that I can convert to Pro Res and 2 cameras were HDV that have been successfully converted to 23.98P Pro Res 422 ( Thanks Jesse Spenser)

I'd like to edit this in a 5 camera multiclip but have read horror stories on the web about multiclip slowing down on a low power system. I've also read that the problem might be mostly hard drive speed and look up time instead of the processor.

I have a bunch of different matched size SATA drives (as well as FW800/SATA) drives and a Firmtek SeriTek/2EN2 hot swap dual drive SATA enclosure that I use with a dual SATA to expresscard adapter to the Macbook Pro.

I've though maybe I could Raid 0 the Firmtek drives to increase their speed and/or just distribute my video files to different drives so they are looking up video somewhat separately ( maybe I could put them on 5 separate drives?) but i don't really know what the hell I'm talking about.

Also I've read that its better to make the XDCAM Pro Res as well. I was going to use 422 instead of HQ but could g down to Proxy if that would help.

Can I make this work? Any suggestions?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Multiclip in FCP 7

sorry that's a 15" Macbook Pro
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite