DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 11th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #1
New Boot

Maintaining sync across multiple audio tracks

In the timeline I have a single video track* with some sync images and some B-roll images that float against the soundtracks. I have 8 audio tracks, some in sync with different video clips some not. I've trimmed one B-roll video clip and deleted a portion of it.
How do I adjust the 8 different audio tracks so they don't lose their sync relationship with the video timeline as a whole?
Used to be when cutting motion picture film multitracks we could delete an equal amount of fill from each track at different points for each so the overall sync stays the same.
But slug doesn't seem the same as fill--you can't mark a portion of slug in the timeline and delete it.
What I've figured out is to measure the timecode length of my deleted portion of a clip, and to advance each track along the timeline by that amount by selecting all audio tracks forward and entering the timecode. I guess if you inserted a B-roll clip you could do the reverse.
This seems to work but there has got to be an easier way. Or isn't there?
Doing these kinds of edits would seem to be standard for all kinds of docs and narratives but I can't find anything in the documentation except how to delete the same portions of tracks at the same edit points across all tracks.
Thanks . . .
Robert

I'm using FCP 5.1.4 on a MB Pro with OS 10.5.8
Robert Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Maintaining sync across multiple audio tracks

I was wrong about one thing (at least)--it is possible to insert slug and cut it.
Selecting tracks forward and advancing them the length of the deleted clip portion is relatively easy. But is there another way than reading the timecode length of the deleted clip portion and re-entering it after selecting the tracks?
Robert Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Maintaining sync across multiple audio tracks

Set your in and out, and hit delete, ensuring you have nothing selected. To isolate video from audio or choose specific audio and or video tracks to be affected, either lock the tracks you don't want deleted, or toggle the auto select boxes (little squares next to the track locks on the timeline) so only the ones you do want deleted.

Makes sure nothing in the timeline is selected first, otherwise that will be deleted. edit will either be a ripple delete or a lift depending which delete key you use.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite