Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

stereo mix - urgent help please!

Hi
This is a basic question sorry but I urgently need help and am on deadline! Need to export my documentary to Apple ProRes HD with the audio as a Stereo Mix. My audio is mono so what do I do? Do I need to put it all in one channel and then select Stereo Mix? Or duplicate it and put it in two channels? And what do I do about pan settings? The doco's going to play digitally in a festival. Thanks!
Leonie Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: stereo mix - urgent help please!

Hey Leonie, Final Cut normally defaults to a stereo mixdown, it is setup in timeline settings under audio outputs I believe. If all your audio is all mono with no panning then you'll not have any difference between left and right channels but your audio WILL be a stereo mix if that's what your sequence settings are and you output to quicktime as stereo (either through export Quicktime or export using quicktime conversion/compressor depending on your workflow).

If you want stuffed to be panned, you can individually set the panning on clips.
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks so much! Sorry I know these are really basic questions...I don't want stuff to be panned, just want to get the settings right for it to be heard in a cinema OK (I'm assuming set to zero?) So I can just leave my audio as is in a couple of different tracks and export as a stereo mix and it'll all be sorted?
Leonie Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Leonie, after this deadline has passed, if you can, take it to a theatre and check it out.

Sit it the centre halfway back, and if it doesn't sound right to you, ask the projectionist to check it for you. I've seen theatres that are out of whack.

If you're still not happy, ask at your local video club so you'll get it right for next time.
Good luck.

Cheers.
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks. Hoping to do that.
Leonie Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite