Red Epic / FCP7 / Aspect Ratio Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 14th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Red Epic / FCP7 / Aspect Ratio Question

I didn't see a RED section so I'm posting here.

I shot some RED Epic footage recently and exported using redcine-x pro to a 1920 x 1080 ProRes 4444 QT file.

When I drop the footage into a new FCP7 timeline it asks if I want to change the sequence settings to match the clip settings. I say yes to this, and everything looks fine except there are small black bars on the top and bottom. Do I need to change the aspect ratio? How do I get it to fill the window correctly with no black bars?

Aspect Ratio says "HDTV 1080i (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio says "Square"
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Red Epic / FCP7 / Aspect Ratio Question

This will be because the red footage wasn't shot 16:9, but likely 2:1 or some other aspect ratio. What is your delivery, if it is 16:9 then you will be best to just blow up the footage and crop the sides or leave it with letterbox. You may be better of not changin the sequence settings to match the 2:1 aspect ratio because you will lose Final Cut's realtime acceleration while editing.
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Red Epic / FCP7 / Aspect Ratio Question

Thanks for the reply.

So, when you say blow up the footage, you mean I should zoom in on it to fit the 16:9 frame? I guess being that it is 5K footage it wont surfer from zooming in a bit.

Is there a way I can export using the correct aspect in compressor if I don't want letterbox?
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite