Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 21st, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Sequence settings for DVD from HD & SD source

G'day,

I am cutting my sister's wedding, destined for DVD, for which I used a Panny TM900 (HD) and Canon MVX430 (SD) as a static B camera.

Am I better off creating a HD sequence, and upsizing the SD footage, for it to then be compressed down to DVD quality...

Or should I use SD sequence settings, scaling down the HD footage, and being "native" size for the DVD?

Which will produce the best results?

Thanks very much

Travis
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best Sequence settings for DVD from HD & SD source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Wheaton View Post
I am cutting my sister's wedding, destined for DVD, for which I used a Panny TM900 (HD) and Canon MVX430 (SD) as a static B camera.
Here is one approach:

1. Load the TM900 footage into your NLE.
2. Digitally zoom, pan and crop the TM900 footage.
3. Render as widescreen DV-PAL format.
4. Start a multicamera project.
5. Cut the MVX430 footage with the DV-PAL footage created above.

The advantage to downconverting the TM900 to make it DV-PAL before beginning the multicamera edit is first, that you can do quite a bit of digital enhancement to the TM900 footage while downconverting, and second, that the subsequent multicam edit will be more responsive which allows for precice transitions and color grading.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Best Sequence settings for DVD from HD & SD source

Thanks for the feedback, Eric!

As I haven't used multicam sequences before, I wont jump into that workflow at this point, though I'm certainly interested in learning how to use multicam. (Also, as my HD footage wasn't recorded in 1 continuous block, I'm not sure how easy it will be to marry the timecodes together.)

I have read that the correct Sequence frame size settings for a widescreen DVD is CCIR 601 / DV PAL (5:4) with PAL CCIR 601 pixels, and ticked the anamorphic 16:9 box. Looks like both lots of footage maintains its correct aspect.

Thanks again for your help. As I've said, although I am a film school graduate, we only learned the basics there, and I sadly haven't had any industry experience to hone these concepts. I really do appreciate the assistance.

Travis

Last edited by Travis Wheaton; August 22nd, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Travis Wheaton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite