Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 20th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Motion pixel aspect ratio weirdness

Hi,

Can anyone explain this?

Sent a clip (HDV 1440x1920, pixel aspect 1.33) from FCP6 to Motion 3 to do some slow motion work. Made sure the media settings in Motion matched this. But, the image is noticeably laterally stretched; something's wrong.

To cut a long story short, after numerous failed fiddlings I tried something counter-intuitive by changing the pixel aspect ratio in Motion to 1:1. Hey presto it worked - the image is now displayed (and more importantly, processed) correctly. But I thought the whole point about 1440x1920 was that the pixels are rectangular and so the image size is still 1920x1080? Maybe Motion 3 doesn't recognise this?

So i solved the problem but it worries me that a) I might be setting up problems that will rear their head later and / or b) I have a fundamental misunderstanding of something...
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite