Speed Difference from old MacPro1.1 to current versions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 10th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Trustee

Speed Difference from old MacPro1.1 to current versions?

Hey guys, I have an older MacPro desktop with this specification: Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon...........when compared to the newest MacPro which features: 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon W3565 processor, (Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.46 GHz, 8 MB of fully shared L3 cache per processor
Hyper-Threading technology for up to 8 virtual cores) what sort of speed differential could I expect when rendering video?

I primarily work with GH3 72mbps video as well as AVCHD and would like to know what sort of speed increase I could expect from such a machine upgrade?

Thanks Mac Pro guys~

Steve
(Note: this is the Mac I'd like to purchase but only if speed increase is rather substantial; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871876-REG/Apple_MD770LL_A_MACPRO_QC_XEONPROCESS_3_2g_6GB_1TB.html )
Old March 10th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Speed Difference from old MacPro1.1 to current versions?

Mountain Lion is not RECOMMENDED for running FCP7 although many report it working just fine. I have read a lot of reports of the other software in the Suite not working at all though.

Of course, YMMV.
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Speed Difference from old MacPro1.1 to current versions?

A reasonable speed increase in FCP7 but you might not find the expense worth it. The real rendering improvement comes with moving to FCPX especially if you are working with GH3 AVCHD files. But even there the MacPros are not as efficient right now as the new iMacs or MacbookPros due to the older hardware architecture in the MacPro line. Converting your GH3 files to ProRes and purchasing more hard drives would be a better way to invest until Apple finally delivers the new MacPro (which is entirely dependent on Intel releasing their new CPU chips) later this year. An iMac is not a bad choice at this point in time if it fits your workflow.

I use FCP7 with Mountain Lion on my 2009 MacPro and my 17" MacbookPro without any major issues aside from random disappearing audio waveform previews.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite