Trying to correct an annoying motion distortion issue on several clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 12th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Trying to correct an annoying motion distortion issue on several clips

Would anyone have any idea how to fix interlaced motion distortion, as is evident on the (last few seconds) of this clip?

I've tried quite a few things, including changing codecs (have tried many), in addition to implementing a De-Interlace and Flicker Filter in FCP 7, all to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help here!
Dennis St. John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Trying to correct an annoying motion distortion issue on several clips

it's actually all the way through - I 1st notice it at :010 - it appears to be a problem with interlacing but it's beyond me. perhaps if you give us more details - what it was shot on , frame rate etc , what NLE - someone wil be able to work it out
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Trustee

That doesn't look like interlacing, it looks more like the kind of distortion you get in some cameras recording to mpeg, where the frame prediction gets thrown off by the motion. There is also situation called "rolling shutter" in cmos cameras that is also related to this.

I once saw a video from a cmos-mpeg camera several years ago, where the subject was in a home under construction, walking past vertical wall studs, and they wobbled almost comically as the system tried to figure out where the predictor-frames were supposed to land. It looked a lot like what you have.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #4
Trustee

PS: there is a discussion of this at this site: ROLLINGSHUTTER | CMOS Motion Artefact Correction | The Foundry
They make an Adobe After Effects plugin which is designed to fix this kind of thing; haven't used it myself. There is a free trial if you have access to AAE. But the information on the page may be of use to you if, indeed, this is what the problem is. Best wishes!
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for the comments, feedback and assistance everyone! I actually inherited this project and am currently assisting the producer with this issue to get the project done. I have absolutely no idea exactly what it was shot on, although I've been informed they were lead to believe it was some model of Sony. However, I can't really be sure. I personally own the Sony HVR-Z7U and have never seen anything like this before. I will certainly give the After Effects plugin a try. I do have Adobe After Effects CS6 by way of the Creative Cloud subscription. Thanks again so much for the assistance here! Much appreciated and I'll keep this thread posted on resolution.
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Is it possible it was shot with a spinning glass 35mm adaptor?

It LOOKS like a combination of a couple of things and spinning glass mixed with a bad shutter speed is what jumps to my mind...
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Trustee

IIRC the video I saw was shot on a Sony HVR-A1U, prosumer camera popular about 6-7 years ago, if that's of any interest. CMOS single chip camera which as I recall it records to MPEG-1.
Old April 17th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

After further analysis, I really don't think this problem is rolling shutter. Rolling shutter produces more of a slanted video. This is more of an interlaced problem when objects start moving.
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Adobe Premiere CS6 (which I also have) has a "Rolling Shutter Repair" filter. I'm going to give that a try.
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #10
Trustee

You may see rolling shutter as wobbles if the camera is hand-held. Correct, due to the cmos single-scan system, a stationary camera generally gives a "slanted" effect. But if the camera moves back and forth a little, well....
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Trustee

Looks like field order is reversed. i have seen something like this on FCP when the footage was interpreted incorrectly. Try looking at the footage in Mpeg Stream clip or VLC to see if it is in the source you received. If the source is clean you can figure out if the import settings may be the cause. Good Luck
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 09:56 PM   #12
Trustee

Dennis, is this raw footage from the camera? From the looks of it, this footage was converted incorrectly from the original format to whatever you have now. Hence, the interlace problem. The solution would be to acquire the original, raw data. If what you have now is an incorrectly processed file, I don't think it can be fixed in post.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite