FCP 4 to MPEG2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP 4 to MPEG2

I need to convert my FCP file to mpeg2 file in order to run the file on a plasma. My file is in fcp now. I tried compressor and didn't work. Do yo guys have any input on this. Your help is greatly appreciated. I tried going from quicktime pro to mpeg2 and still no luck. Any advice or step by step guidance is greatly appreciated.
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Major Player

What happened with Compressor? That is almost certainly the best method with the FCP software. If you don't get along with it, you can export MPEG-2 directly from Final Cut. Use the Export>Using QuickTime Conversion command and choose MPEG2. Make sure you open the Options dialog to choose bitrates and encoding method.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

well after I used compressor the file would not run. I tried it again and it would not run again. It needs to be MPEG-2 transport stream wth the 5Mb/sec rate, with resolution 720:480

Also, compressor has so many presets to chose from:

mpeg2 120 min fast encode,
120 min fast encode wide screen
120 high quality encode

then: mpeg2 90 min fast encode
90 min fast encode wide screen
90 min high quality encode

then mpeg2 60 min etc etc....

what's the difference between 120, 90 and 60? and will it affect the quality?

BTW Using the Export>Using QuickTime Conversion command and choosing MPEG2 would be nice, but it won't give me that option. only MPEG4! Did I do it wrong?
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Wait, what are you trying to do with the MPEG-2 file? Are you trying to put it back in the timeline in Final Cut? Or are you trying to bring it to a DVD authoring program? I don't think FCP will edit any MPEG-2 that's not HDV. But it is weird that you can access MPEG-2 export from QuickTime Pro and not from FCP. They should use the same QuickTime export component. Regardless, post what you want to do with the file, and that will help solve your problem.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite