Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 11th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Color Correction: using an external monitor with FCP

Hi,

I have an external Sony display monitor to use with FCP on my G4 powerbook in order to see true picture color during editing.

I really need this for color correction.

The problem is that I can't figure out how to output the digitized image from FCP to the monitor while editing. As it stands, I can only see the images simultaneously on the monitor when I am digitizing.

I am aware of how to split the screen between the computer and the external monitor via DISPLAYS but this does not help me in terms of seeing true image quality.

I'd appreciate some instruction on how to send picture from FCP timeline to an external monitor without loss in color/resolution. If this is impossible, please advise on the best way to do color correction safely.

Cheers.
Zareh Tjeknavorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The easy way is to connect your firewire out to a device like a VTR, then loop that to your monitor.

Done and done.

Cheers
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Stephen,

I am currently connected via firewire to a DV recorder, which in turn is connected via its S-Video output to the monitor. But this doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
Zareh Tjeknavorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What do you mean it doesn't work? You are not getting a signal, or there is something with the Color Correction you are having problems with?

If you are not getting a signal
1) Do you have external video turned on from FCP?
2) Is your deck turned on?
3) Is your S cable good?
4) Do you have the correct input on your monitor set?

I don't mean to offend by asking these questions, just trying to troubleshoot.

Cheers
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I had this same problem, i would get the same response but there is one thing people always forget to mention, check its on your camera. While its all plug in firewire and to tv, turned it on if have a menu button on camera( not sure what kind you have) press it then go to "A/V to DV out"(scroll through the different menus it should be there) and make sure its turned to the "off" setting if its "on" then just change it . Yeah a friend showed that to me with his camera ( VX2000) while it was hooked up to tv and computer. He switched it on and off and sure enough it was the same thing on my camera as well. Hope this solves it for you.
Kevin Calumpit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite