Matte/Composite/Keying at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 20th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Matte/Composite/Keying

Can anyone help with a matte problem? I used the following Ken Stone reference as my guide (girl in snowy pool). But I'm not coming up with the same results.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...tes_masks.html

I'm using FCP 3 with OS10.3.9.

Video Track 2: Black Male entertainer wearing White Jacket with Dark Red Shirt and Santa Claus hat against a dark background. I keyed out the black background and some of my entertainer's face and red shirt.

Video Track 1: Footage of bright Christmas lights.

I clicked on the tracks and it says the composite mode is normal for both, so I guess V2 Christmas lights rose up as a background for V1 entertainer.

It looked great! Except, as you probably guessed, the Christmas lights are coming through my entertainer's face and dark red shirt because they lost some opacity when keying out the black.

I followed the Ken Instructions and placed a copy of the entertainer footage on the top track and removed all the attributes. I then made a rectangular shape mask and made the rest of the footage on the top track transparent.

It seemed to be working when I looked at my canvas, but I wasn't getting the same results on my connected TV monitor. The lights were still coming through him on the TV.

I rendered a section or two. After that, I didn't see the positive changes on my canvas or on my TV monitor.

So how do I keep the lights from coming through my entertainer.
Thanks,
Scott
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Scott,
The instructions on the Ken Stone link were fine. You either didn't key performer footage with a color key or you just keyed too much out. Make sure you key with "Matte, Source, Final" open so you can see the four-way view. If you key out too much, the light will come through regardless of using a shape matte.
-Scott
Scott Routt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite