DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 3rd, 2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Uncompressed video

Need help here. I recently purchase used Kona SD card for editing in uncompressed video. Question if I capture footage via firewire can I still edit in uncompressed timeline? I guess my question is will it go from compressed to uncompressed? Also in order to edit with an NTSC monitor do i need the AJA D5D converter? Please help newbie to uncompressed world. I do not have RAID setup yet but I read where you can edit with Kona JPEG compression with a single drive.
Danny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Major Player

If you put DV footage in an uncompressed SD timeline then FCP will convert it, but you will probably have to render every frame before it will play back. Mixing formats on the fly is not a strength of FCP.

P.S. I don't know anything about the AJA converter.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok thanks Zach, now I have already begun editing on dv timeline, can I just export to SD timeline and not loose any editing I have done?
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Anyone know which converter will work to edit on NTSC monitor?
Old November 3rd, 2005, 01:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, if you're editing in the same timebase then you should be able to just copy and paste the clips. You might want to check on what, if any, distort settings FCP applies to the DV clips to compensate for the extra 6 lines of resolution in the uncompressed sequences.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 01:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Uhm...if you captured using the Kona card, then it IS uncompressed. The beauty of the Kona is that is captures uncompressed video over firewire.

Did you not get any documentation with this? It sounds like you don't really know how this works.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

As stated in above post, footage was not captured via Kona SD, instead I captured via firewire from DV. I think you are referring to AJA IO that has firewire, this is Kona SD card and it does not have firewire. I just wanted to know if captured from DV will it uncompress on timeline or will I have to capture from SDI but I think Zach cleared that up for me.
Old November 5th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #8
RED Problem Solver

What I want to know is "why?". Are you connecting a DV to deck to the Kona over SDI? Are you mastering to DigiBeta?

If you're not, you may as well have stayed in a DV timeline, only perhaps making an uncompressed master on disc for DVD authoring, but that doesn't need a kona card.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I have not connected a dv desk to Kona SD. I had some footage that was already capture from a dv deck and wanted to know if it will uncompress on the timeline.
Danny Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite