DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 9th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stupid Question

Okay this is a stupid question and has nothing to do with anything, but I really need an answer and I am sure you guys know.
I wanna erase some files, but when I move them to my Trash-can and I try to empty it, it tells me that some of the files are locked...
How do I un-lock them???
I said it was a stupid question, but I promise this will be the only one...

PLEASE HELP;)
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Try holding down the OPTION key when you empty the trash.

And make sure you don't have ANY applications open.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #3
Trustee

If the previous suggestion does not work, try checking to see if the files are locked, or if they contain files inside them that are locked.

If it is a folder, or a 'package', you can use the 'show package contents' to go through the files and 'get info' to 'un-check' any that are locked and preventing you from deleting them.

If that still doesn't work, check them also to be certain that they have the correct ownership and permissions settings.

Hope this helps.
-Jon
BTW - it wasn't a stupid question at all.
Old November 10th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Seldom are there any stupid questions.

"Ignorance" simply means someone has a lack of knowledge. And it can be cured through learning.

However, someone "stupid" is almost incapable of learning. Someone truly "stupid" probably wouldn't be able to even ask the right questions.
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #5
Wrangler

Files can end up being locked due to a crash while they were still in use. Or they might be locked because they still are being used (like system files). So just be a little careful that you know what you're throwing in the trash - especially if it's something like an FCP capture or render file!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite