DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 10th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Very strange capture problem

I'm trying to capture from a Sony digital-8 camera into final cut express 2 on an iMac G5.

Everything seems to work fine until I drop a clip on the timeline (v2) above another clip on v1. Wherever the 2 clips overlap, final cut wants to render the audio.

I noticed in the browser that any clip longer than 5 or 6 minutes has an audio sample rate slightly less than 48kHz, i.e. "4799.7Hz" or something like that and those are the clips it wants to render.

I've been using this camera/computer combination for almost a year and I've never had a problem. I really don't want to have to break up a 35 min. wedding ceremony into 5 min. chunks, but that's my workaround for now.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? I would very much appreciate any help.

Last edited by Stephen Claus; November 10th, 2005 at 07:10 PM.
Stephen Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #2
Wrangler

Sounds like it could be a mismatch in the capture settings. Have you changed anything in the audio tracks? When I adjust the pan, levels, etc. on the audio tracks I sometimes get the same thing. But it only takes a couple seconds to render on my dual G5....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nope. I never touched the audio. It all seems to revolve around the length of the clip. I capture a 6 minute clip and get a weird number, I capture 5 minutes of the same footage and I get the proper 48kHz.

I guess my first question should be: does having slightly different sample rates require rendering? How will that rendering affect my clips? I haven't rendered any of these clips yet because I didn't think I should have to. I never had to before. Something just isn't right.

And, no, I'm not afraid to render on my iMac. It's not so bad with a Gig of RAM. And I'm not afraid to shoot a wedding with my little single-chip camera. A little embarrassed maybe, but not afraid! :-)
Stephen Claus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite