Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 13th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #1
New Boot

merging with in-points / losing audio on back-end

Hi All

Two issues here.

I have 35mm footage that was telecined to DVCam tapes. Captured it normally to FCP and am now synching everything up with my DAT tape files that have been converted to .mov. Using in-points as the DATs have no timecode, so just synching slate on each.

The first odd thing is that my 29.97 footage synches perfectly with my sound. I was under the impression that I would be able to remove telecine to get back to my original 35mm and then edit in the 24fps timeline. When I convert the video to 24 however, the audio synch is off. Everyone that I have spoken with tells me the audio should synch with the 24fps and not the 29.97. Ideally, I need to be editing this in 24, so that I can match back to the film better. Any ideas what's up?

Secondly, just to get some rough cut stuff to look at, I've been editing some of the synching 29.97 footage. Most of it is great. I'm merging by in-points and I'm getting 29.97 clips with perfectly synched audio start to finish. On a few of the clips, however, the merged audio is missing the end of the audio file. The synch is fine until the last 1/4 or so of the clip and then the audio gets dropped. When I look at the clip in the timeline, there's no audio in that section. If I look at the audio clip by itself, the clip is full sized (included the section that is missing in the merged clip). Any notion as to why the merge is dropping this piece of the audio clip???

As always, thanks for the help.

L.
Lain McNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #2
New Boot

one other question...

I dropped the video and audio files into the timeline indep., linked them and then moved to clip to the bin. Looks like a new merged clip once I bring it back in. Is there a problem doing it this way as opposed to using the merge function? It seems to take care of the missing audio issue I'm having.

I'd still like to know what's up with the audio not matching the 24fps (reverse telecine) footage if anyone has a guess.
Lain McNeill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite