Titles in AE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 29th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Titles in AE

Hey guys. I've been combing the forums and googling like mad, and i'm coming up empty on a rather newb question that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

I'm working in FCP 4.5 on 16:9 Mini-DV footage and I've reached the titling phase. I purchased AE 6.5 because I was having no luck getting crisp, smooth film-quality titles out of Motion, for obvious reasons, and everything I read said AE was the way to go because it does 2k resolution.

All of this I understand. However, if my FCP project is only 720x480 and I therefore work at that resolution in AE, how am I ever going to see any benefit? Or is the engine just that much better in AE?

Please tell me I'm not supposed to up-rez my entire film in order to see the titling benefits.

Thanks for taking the time with an AE greenhorn,

Chris
Chris Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Major Player

If you want truly great titles then you can't work in DV, but I can get good titles out of AE even at that resolution. I don't use Motion so I can't compare, but they are about 100 times better looking than titles generated in FCP 4.5. The engine in AE really is amazing, especially if you are doing any of the semi-3D effects.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:47 PM   #3
Major Player

What about dropping a title done in AE at say a 2k film resolution onto the timeline with dv25 material?
Does that work at all?
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Film movement titles

Speaking of titles, you know how the actual film titles feel, they are not steady because of the film itself movement in the gate. They are in fact unsteady, they move in every direction (almost unnoticeably) but they do.

Any way to recreate that with digital titles? To make them feel more like they are titles on film?Maybe some software has a special plug-in or something, that people know about...

If there is no specific program/plug-in, maybe play with position in FCP on a frame-by-frame almost basis...

Ideas?
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:39 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris, this may not be a solution, but maybe a start. It works for me.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...118#post368118

Last edited by Eric Brown; December 2nd, 2005 at 05:00 PM.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:18 PM   #6
Major Player

well definately apply a motion blur to any moving title in AE - that makes a big difference
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite