importing vegas edited footage to FC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

importing vegas edited footage to FC?

I know this may be a dumb question but my friend wants to help edit some video for a freinds project and has access to vegas but the project is being done with FC. Is there a way, (besides rendering the edited footage to avi and importing it to FC) to bring it into FC with some of the markers and editing info. thanks Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Major Player

It's not a dumb question - cross-platform editing is common practice. But I don't know if it's common practice between Vegas and FCP. I imagine the only way to translate timelines between those is with an EDL if Vegas can support them. This will most likely limit you to one layer of video, and you would have to recapture in FCP. One of FCP's annoying limitations is that you can only edit with Apple's QuickTime codecs unless you want to render every frame.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks! Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #4
Major Player

I think the Vegas EDL is different from most and not really designed for exporting to another NLE or platform.
If it works, great, but I will not be surprised if it doesn't.

You might try using an AAF file and work at bringing the media online in FCP.
I successfully imported an AAF that I created in Vegas into Avid but had major trouble getting the media online, but I think it was because of screwed timecodes on the tapes and Avid (and my lack of understanding for Avid) more than anything else.

The timeline looked just like it did in Vegas. It did take a little playing with settings so give yourself some time to experiment.
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite