DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 5th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP Workflow/Tape Based?

Does one exist yet? Has anyone shot any projects with this? Forgive my impudence but I'm not entirely sure of the recording medium, yes I have searched around these forums but have many much a do about esoteric things and less emphasis on the fundamental queries: I purr - How does one edit with this camera? Is a Final Cut Pro workflow available? Does this record to tape? I heard that in order to capture one must buy a special deck, for what resolutions, for full HD yes? You can in theory capture HDV 1080p HDV? Over firewire? The recording medium, is tape based yes? MiniDV? This camera is far surperior than the HD100? Does it do TRUE 24p recording as the HD100 boasts? I apologize sincerely but for all my searchings, I've found few answers. Perhaps someone kind and patient enough could shed light on this subject for all, including myself to see.

Many thanks and apologies,

Mr. Meyers
Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Not to discourage anyone else from answering, but you're asking a lot of questions in one post, and most if not all of them have been answered here many times before. Just spend a little more time going through this forum, especially the earlier threads, and dig right in.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Quick answers

Yes the XL-H1 should work fine with FCP 5, via Firewire on miniDV tape (no need for a special deck in HDV format (only with the HD-SDI 4.2.2 output) on a bi-G5. No it's not true 24p.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyers
Does it do TRUE 24p recording ...?
Ronan is incorrect. yes, it does exactly as you say.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm sorry if I made a mistake. I though he was speaking about 24F wich not means true 1080p.
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

IT's more something in between... It's not fully progressive (you loose a bit of resolution because the CCD's aren't progressive) but it looks the same as 24p.

(Or am I incorrect too with this?)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #7
Major Player

*lord have mercy*
Guys, all he asked was does it do a true 24p recording. Those were his words.

He didn't ask how or what it looks like, if it loses resolution, what it scans, if it cooks breakfast, if it massages your feet at night or any other things you guys are throwing into the answer.

He is speaking on 24F and it is a FULLY PROGRESSIVE 24 frame per second recording. Which is what we call 24p.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #8
Major Player

or you can hook up a Firestore to the H1 correct?
so you don't have to digitize and it is slightly better quALITY than off tape?

Vero?

I am soooo on the fence between the Xl H1 and the HVX200
Ugh
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #9
Major Player

John,

The quality you get on Firestore is identical to what you get on tape. bit for bit.

Remember, this is all DIGITAL. Forget what you learned about VHS tapes of the 80's. *smile* Those are analog. MiniDV tapes and other tapes for DV cameras is more-or-less a 'harddrive' for all intents and purposes. They record 1's & 0's, so when you transfer it to a computer, the quality remains the same. It NEVER degrades or suffers from generational loss like Hi8 for instance.

Therefore, using a Firestore is an advantage because it's already on a hard drive. We like to use the term 'digitize' when speakig of capturing footage from a DV camera, but that's a bad term to use. We carried that over from along time ago. You aren't actually "digitizing" anything, because it's already 'digitized'. You are simply "TRANSFERING" your digital footage from a digital tape to a digital hard drive. no more, no less. Think of all your MiniDV tapes as little $4 dollar hard drives. *smile*

And please, get off the fence...you may hurt yourself.

Let the way you like to shoot be your determining factor.
Let your specific project requirement be your determining factor.
Let the picture quality be your determining factor.
Let your client and what they want & need be your determining factor.

Once you know that....you won't hurt your jewels on that fence your straddling. *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

This is in regards to the XL H1.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite