Should I make the jump to Final Cut Studio? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 4th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #16
Major Player

I bought the retail version of DVD SP 4 several months ago (because iDVD just wasn't cutting it for my needs) and just downloaded the "DVD Studip Pro 4 Upgrade to Final Cut Studio" form from Apple yesterday; it clearly states that the cost is $199 + tax, and I have to send in the original DVDSP4 install disc. It also says it must be postmarked by Dec 20, 2006 so I don't think they're getting rid of the upgrade deal anytime soon.

Guess I'm just gonna ditch my copy of FCE. Shoot, there's nothing WRONG with it, and I'm not sure if I'll even use the extra features in FCP....but for $199, I can't pass it up, and I'll have access to the auxilary software in the suite.
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Duane,
Can you send me a link to where you downloaded that from? I am going to purchase Motion 2 now, and hopefully get the same type of deal..

Thanks,
Mike Moncrief
Old February 4th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #18
Wrangler

You'll find full information here: http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Boyd..

appreciate the response..

Mike Moncrief
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:21 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I've read the upgrade pages and the fine print on the upgrade order form but I can't find an answer to this: Over the years, I bought FCP 2, an FCP 3 upgrade and an FCP 4 upgrade. Do I qualify for a single $199 upgrade to Final Cut Studio or one $199 upgrade and two $699 upgrades?

TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:56 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest House
I've read the upgrade pages and the fine print on the upgrade order form but I can't find an answer to this: Over the years, I bought FCP 2, an FCP 3 upgrade and an FCP 4 upgrade. Do I qualify for a single $199 upgrade to Final Cut Studio or one $199 upgrade and two $699 upgrades?

TIA
Call Apple and ask, I'm sure they will help you out.
Brett Whited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:58 AM   #22
Wrangler

Once you have upgraded to a new version then your old version is no longer valid. For example, if you upgrade from FCP3 to FCP4 then you can't turn around and sell somebody your old FCP3 software. So clearly you qualify for the $199 upgrade from FCP4 to FC Studio.

Theoretically, the older versions would not be upgradeable because the serial numbers would indicate they had already been upgraded during the registration process. As to whether that really would happen... who knows. But clearly when you purchase an upgrade, that's just what you get. It changes the capabilities of the original software package that you bought. This is not the same thing as buying a new software package, and it doesn't give you an additional license for the software.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #23
Major Player

Can you share projects between FCE and FCP?

Quote:
I have both FCE and FCP. If your FCE is an educational one then it has the same issue that Jack points out. I disagree with Glenn tho. If you are going to try and make a living, your time is most important. There's a couple of things in FCP that aren't in FCE that save you lots of time. One is batch capture and the other is COmpressor (coincidently a batch output). During editing, I find the FCP keyframing and motion controls superior and more efficient than FCE. There may be other diffs that slip my mind. My FCE system is just for simple stuff for use by less experienced staff.
Ernest,
We're thinking of getting Final Cut Pro at work, and I have Final Cut Express at home. If we back up to an external hard drive will I be able to bring that home on the weekends and keep working in FCE?
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Basically No. You can open an FCE project in FCP but once it is in FCP, it is upgraded to FCP format. There are other export capabilities in FCP for cross platform exchange that may let you open it at home in FCE (not sure) but I will let the pros here suggest them.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
You can open an FCE project in FCP but once it is in FCP, it is upgraded to FCP format.
Dear Ernest,
Will the quality be degraded by doing a project in FCE and then import it in FCP compared to capturing it in FCP directly?
Best regards /Johan
PS. I really like your suggested tripod combination, the Manfrotto 542 ART with the Cartoni Focus head. This tripod is really an invention and very nice to move around really quickly. Thanks again!
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #26
Inner Circle

The video data is DV for both FCP and FCE. What is different is the project file. THere is no degradation of video quality.

I very much enjoy the ART legs and Cartoni Focus Head. I had to use my wife's photo tripod recently and realized how spoiled I am for having the fast and easy setup of the ART legs.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite