DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Major Player

New G5 CD Drive

So I hooked up my new G5 Dual with FCP 5 Studio, Pro-Tools, etc. and I am in editing heaven. But..

I noticed that built-in CD drive makes a kind of rattling plastic clunking sound when it reads from disk. I think it is an issue with the tray itself. Does your G5 sound like this? Or is mine unique? My g4 did not have this problem.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Tourist

CD Rattle

Yes it does! But oddly it only happens on apple discs, like i installs the new iLife '06 and iWork and they rattle but when i burn or play a dvd-r it doesn't. I think it has something to do with the weight of the cd or dvd and the tray.

Seperately my install disc say the bundled software is damaged and cannot be read. So i got replacement discs and they say the same thing. Have you had this prob?
Jesse Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #3
Major Player

My Dual 2ghz makes a noise too.
Its a bit of a worry.
Hopefully its not a huge problem.
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the replys. I am glad that I am not the only one with this noise complaint. The G5 is such a well built computer that I was surprised by this noise. I have not had any problems loading software. I did notice the the noise is worse when it reads a DVD. I thought that it was related to the amount of data. Hope you solve your problem.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite