Intel Macs, will they run Mac software from pre-06? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Intel Macs, will they run Mac software from pre-06?

Sorry if this question is in the wrong forum. Thought I'd ask. Thanks.
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Major Player

The Pro apps for video editing and effects and such (Final Cut, Motion, DVD Studio, etc. ) will not run on Intel apps until the "Universal" versions come out .... currently slated to be available end of March '06.

Most "typical" apps are expected to be compatible via Rosetta running on the Intel Macs.
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Wrangler

Unless I'm mistaken, "Classic" doesn't run on the Intel Macs... does it? Therefore no OS9 programs. A friend just got a new Intel iMac yesterday and was a little bewildered that he couldn't use some of his old System 9 software (and his old scanner). He also said that AppleWorks 6 didn't seem to work even though it runs under OSX and MacOS 9.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #4
Trustee

For $49 Apple will replace your OEM pro app discs with new universal binary discs that will run on both processor platforms.
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Wrangler

Also see this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58196
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
For $49 Apple will replace your OEM pro app discs with new universal binary discs that will run on both processor platforms.
Only if they are current versions of FCP Studio. Individual apps are crossgraded from $199 and up.

Rosetta
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #7
Wrangler

That's only part of the story, see the link I posted above. Apple is offering what I'd consider a really attractive deal. They will only sell the full Final Cut Studio package now, not individual applications. So if all you own is FCP5 you can get the full universal version of FC Studio (Motion, DVDSP, Soundtrack) for $100. If you have FCP4 you can get the same thing for $200:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/topquestions.html

Quote:
How much does it cost to upgrade to Final Cut Studio?
To make it easy to move to Final Cut Studio, Apple is offering low-cost upgrades from retail versions of Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro 4, Motion 2, Soundtrack Pro, and Production Suite. When you take advantage of this offer, you'll get the Universal version of Final Cut Studio when it becomes available.

Application Price
Final Cut Pro 5 $99
DVD Studio Pro 4, Motion 2, or Soundtrack Pro $199
Final Cut Pro 4.X/HD or Production Suite $199
Final Cut Pro 1, 2, or 3 $699
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #8

I remember people used to tell me Apple "just works".. Its shocks me that you do a simple OS upgrade from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3 and all of a sudden you cant run certain software and you have to wait for each company to do their own updates.. Now with the entire architecture switch its going to be even worse.. Didnt people just get finished upgrading from classic to OSX ? It seems like constant transition and emulation.. I dont know why people continue to say nothing works on Windows.. I got software from 1995 which still runs on XP!!

This deal is cheap and thats cool but they are still sucking money from people who otherwise may not want to spend it.. Its all based on the fact the company made the change to intel.. What if you own 10 pieces of software but would only ever want to upgrade say 2 or 3 regularly. A switch like this forces you into paying to upgrade all 10.. Either that or stay with your old machine in the dark ages.
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #9
Wrangler

Nonsense. Microsoft hasn't come out with an OS upgrade in something like 6 years, and they are long overdue. Do you think there won't be any compatibility issues when Windows Vista makes its debut later this year? I don't use Windows very often, but one of the few things I have used (the software that runs our lighting console) needs MSDOS and won't run on anything newer than Windows 98.

Should Apple halt the wheels of progress and keep the PowerPC architecture that couldn't provide the level of performance professional users expect today? I think moving to Intel was a gutsy move on Apple's part, and of course there will be transition issues but they'll be worth it. And Apple has provided a bridge in the form of "Rosetta" which will run most existing MacOSX software. Apple also provided a bridge from MacOS 9 when they changed to MacOSX in the form of the "Classic Environment."

Professional users of high performance programs should be able to bear the cost of these very reasonable Final Cut Studio upgrades. Or if they can't then their existing G4 and G5 systems will continue to work just as well as they always have.

Or if people feel that Apple is "sucking money away" from them then they're always free to switch to the Windows platform. But we certainly haven't seen that happen yet. Apple's market share increased by 33% this year (from 3% to 4%). And Wall Street has clearly decided how satisfied people are with Apple's strategy as we've seen their share prices rise by 800% during the past five years when compared to Microsoft: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL...z=m&q=l&c=msft
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #10
Major Player

Hello,

So, if i find an old version of FCP on Ebay i can buy it and trade it in for the whole Final Cut Suite ?? Is this correct?? any limitations on versions etc?? and then pay for the Universal binary version if i buy a Mac/Intel machine??

Wow the mac is now looking attractive to me..I am considering buying a Imac 20" (intel) with all the video ram and ram it can hold to do some of my video projects with..

Mike m.
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #11
Wrangler

See the link and quote from the FAQ in my post above which breaks down the upgrade price for different versions of FCP. I'd be a little careful with buying and old version on eBay. Chances are you'd be getting a leftover copy after someone upgraded. For example, I have a full box with all the disks and manuals from FCP3 and FCP4, but I can't sell them because I used them each to upgrade to the next version. But if you can find a legitimate, shrink-wrapped version of FCP4 somewhere which you can register in your own name then for $200 more you could get the universal version of FCP, DVDSP, Motion and Sountrack Pro. Or you could get the same thing for $100 if you have FCP5. The older versions would be a $700 ugrade.
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #12
Major Player

I've heard of a few people hopping onto eBay to get into this upgrade deal already. Some of them accidentally bought education versions, not retail, so be careful. The upgrade deal specifically notes that it is for retail versions, so no promises that other licenses will be upgradable at these prices.

Best bet might be to buy something like DVD Studio Pro, Motion 2 or Soundtrack new for less than $300. Many stores still have these in stock.
Then you can order the upgrade to the Full FC Studio for $199, and your total price will STILL be under $500 for a high-end, $1300 editing suite.

I already own Motion 2 and have been waiting for a project big enough to justify buying Final Cut, abandoning my existing PC based NLE.
Instead, this deal does it. Now I can get the full studio suite (normally $1300) for $199.
That's not just a deal, that's a flat out AMAZING opportunity.

Keep in mind that this upgrade deal appears to apply to ordering the upgrade to the Universal version of the suite, which runs on both architectures, but won't be shipping until March 31.
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Jushchyshyn
Some of them accidentally bought education versions, not retail, so be careful.
That's a good point. Actually, the educational versions have not been upgradeable for awhile and are marketed as such. People who tried using them for upgrades when FCP5 was released found that their serial numbers would not be accepted during the install.
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #14
Trustee

Under Rosetta- all your old "OS X" apps will run just fine.
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
Under Rosetta- all your old "OS X" apps will run just fine.
Read further down the page:

"Pro applications from Apple — including Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Logic Pro, Logic Express, Shake and Final Cut Express — are not supported by Rosetta."

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite