Formac StudioDV and Canopus ADVC-110 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #1
New Boot

Formac StudioDV and Canopus ADVC-110

OK, im editing with Final Cut Pro 5 and have (yesterday) got hold of a Formac StudioDV analogue/digital converter box to watch edited footage on a tv monitor. It works ok, but you have to do file > print to video (as if to say print to a DV tape but it just goes through the StudioDV DV box to the TV) - you can't view the footage on the tv as you're editing on the timeline which is what I really want to do! Also after about 2mins of playback, the image on the tv screen gets really bad - massive blocks of distored video - literally massive squares dotted around the screen - im tempted to send it back.

Now, ive seen the Canopus ADVC-110 (and we actually have these at University - got the StudioDV cos it was almost £100 cheaper) and am just wondering if anybody has had experience with it.

If this isnt the way to view progress on a tv screen as you're editing on the timeline, can anybody suggest what I can do?

Any info would be appreciated and thank you in advance!

Jonny.
Jonny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Wrangler

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Formac. If it transcodes in real time from IEEE-1394 to composite/component/s-video then it should work without any limitations in FCP. To use your external monitor while editing, you need to go to your Audio/Video settings and choose Apple Firewire from the Video Playback drop-down menu.

The only device I've used like this is the ADS Pyro, and it worked just as expected: http://www.adstech.com/products/API-...sp?pid=API-555

It sounds like there may be some issue with the Formac box. Or maybe it's a PAL/NTSC problem? I assume you're on the PAL system - does your box support PAL? I know the one I linked to above will do both PAL and NTSC.

As far as other methods, many people just use their camcorder for this. Plug firewire into it and plug the monitor into its video output. Or do you guys on the other side of the pond have some sort of law that prevents camcorders from doing this (seems like I read about that somewhere)?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #3
New Boot

I have changed the settings in the audio/visual settings in FCP but no change.

So that box you linked to does real-time conversion to the tv screen (as you're editing)?

Many thanks!

Jonny.
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Wrangler

I have actually used the box in that link with my Mac and FCP4.5 (using NTSC, but the specs say it supports PAL as well).

Is this the unit you have?

http://www.formac.co.uk/html/products/av/stud_1.htm

The specs indicate it should work with FCP, so I don't know what the problem is. I would do some troubleshooting to make sure your firewire port, firewire cable, and analog connections are all working properly. Or otherwise there might be a problem with your specific unit. The only thing a little odd in their specs is this:

Quote:
Hardware CODEC delivers industry-leading 28 Mbit/s DV compression
I thought standard DV was 25mb/s (eg: DV25). You might want to call or e-mail their tech support before giving up on your product.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #5
New Boot

Thats not the box I have... it doesnt have as many ports on the back as that one does on the link.

It does work with final cut no probs, its just u cant play back the timeline realtime through to the tv.

Its no probs... im gonna send it back 2moz cos im just not happy with it.

Gonna ask the tech quy at Uni see what he suggests.

Thanks for your help non the less, much appreciated.

Jonny.
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #6
New Boot

On reflection.. I tried the StudioDV in iMovie - and works!! Simple setting tick box and u can play the timeline through the tv at realtime!

...I just cant get it to work with Final Cut 5! Its really bugging me!!

Ive ticked the appropriate settings in Audio/Video settings from the Final Cut Pro menu to allow playback through firewire... but nothing happens when u play the timeline.

Can anybody help or suggest anything?

Jonny.
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #7
Wrangler

Since the link I found isn't what you own, perhaps it would help if you could post a link the the specs of the product you have? Then one of us might get an idea of what the problem is.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite