Stop Scene - During Capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 21st, 2006, 06:20 PM   #1

Stop Scene - During Capture

... or at least I think that's what the feature that I describe below is called.

When I first started looking into getting a HD/HDV camera last year, I rented a Sony Z1. It was a nice camera and fun to shoot with. I'm now looking at purchasing a Panasonic HVX or Canon H1.

My favorite surprise when capturing footage into Final Cut Pro 5 was that FCP detected (or the Z1 communicated, not sure which) when to stop capturing on a clip and start capturing while renaming the next clip. So if I was shooting and had started and stopped the Z1 ten times I would automatically get 10 separate clips in FCP all with sub-names based off whatever I called the first clip.

It was a HUGE time-saver and it's precision could not be matched by doing it manually (as I've always done with my GL2 and XL2).

Does this work for the JVC HD100 and Canon H1 as well? Does anyone know from experience working with these two cameras? Thank you.
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Major Player

i think it's actually called "scene detect". i'm not at the G5 right now, but remember reading in the fcp phone book, er-ah-manual there is a way in to turn it on or off. it was on by default and i've never felt the need to turn it off. and yes it does function with jvc gy-hd100 footage (720p30).
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:00 PM   #3

Thanks Greg,

One of the things that I like about the HVX is P2. HOWEVER, the scene detect is a real time saver, as I would imagine you could just start capturing and do something else for an hour while all your footage is captured (as well as organized and named) from your HD100/H1/Z1.

That's really good to know it works on your HD100. I'm also looking at that camera now as well. I saw some footage posted by Stephen Noe last week that looked really nice, and I could get two HD100's for the price of one HVX (with 2 P2's)... and I could get it NOW.

Appreciate your answer Greg. Are you enjoying your HD/FCP combo?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite