Capture in HD from SD source? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 30th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Capture in HD from SD source?

I was wondering if there was and HD (or something else) codec in FCP that would allow me to capture in HD from an SD source (i.e. DV). I do alot of tinkering with the picture in post and the image can degrade very quickly when working with a standard dv stream. I was just wondering if there was a codec I could capture to and edit with that would hold up a little better.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Major Player

You can't get any better quality from DV than capturing DV/NTSC via firewire.
And the only way to capture this as HD is to get an HD capture card, and a deck with COmponent outs.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Thats what I figured. 'sigh'
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

no you can't get the source footage better than dv, but there are many codecs that hold up better to color correction than dv. going to hd seems a little ridiculous to me (unless you're going to be outputting to film or something,) since you can't create pixels where they weren't there to begin with. but you can do what a lot of people do and capture from dv, then output either uncomressed footage or footage with a less lossy standard-def codec, reimport that (big files, btw,) and do your color correction/graphics/fx stuff then. or get one of the many high-quality analog capture cards out there. (but you'd prolly want a deck with component outs., like shane said.)

doesn't the new canon camera do sdi out from dv footage? that would be cool.
Nate Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite