Compressor Hates Audio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 6th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Compressor Hates Audio?

Just spent an hour or so combing the forums and I didn't find anyone else who seems to be having this problem. Let me know if you've seen (heard) it, and if you've got a solution.

I'm exporting my audio to an .aif directly from FCP 4.5 (not from a reference movie, I only use that for video) using Compressor.

Every export contains areas of complete silence that do not exist in FCP and that never fall in the same place. It's maddening, to say the least.

Any ideas? I'm at my wits end.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.
Chris Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i haven't had anything like that happen.

however, i can tell you that unless you're doing something very unusual, there's no point in using compressor to make an aif. just choose file -> export with quicktime conversion, switch the format popup to aiff, and use the options button to choose your sample rate and stuff. (you'll want to leave "format" set to "linear pcm.")
Nate Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip.

It's funny how you can learn an overwhelming amount about something and overlook the obvious in the process.

I'll give it a shot on the next disc and see how it plays out.

If anyone else has experienced similar problems with Compressor, I'd still love to hear about it.

Thanks again.
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

A while back I had problems not with Compressor, but with FCP. Specifically, it did strange things with audio in nested sequences. What sounded fine IN the nested sequence timeline lost tracks and audio clips when played from the main sequence. I don't remember what version this was... but haven't nested audio with more than 2 tracks since then....

It's possible something similar is happening with you?
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #5
Major Player

That audio gap error is notorious in FCP4. Most of the time I can fix it by rendering my audio in the sequence that contains the nested sequences before I write my final output file. Occasionally I've had to mix down the audio from the nested sequences and reimport them as stereo AIFFs. It's almost certainly FCP and not Compressor causing this. Compressor doesn't do anything but convert complete files. It can turn your content into crap if you're not careful, but it doesn't cut out pieces of said content.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Zach--Thanks for the reply.

When you say 'render my audio,' are you simply referring to a timeline render? Everything I've got, nested or otherwise, is rendered on the timeline prior to Compressor conversion to stereo .aif.

Also, any idea as to whether or not this is solved in FCP5?

Thanks again.
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #7
Major Player

I am referring to a timeline render. When I've had this problem, the pieces of audio that drop out always correspond to the audio that requires a render to play back in the timeline. If that didn't work for you then you might have to mix down the audio from each nested sequence and sync that in the timeline (it's not as bad as it sounds).

I have no idea whether it's fixed in FCP5. Sadly I am way behind on the upgrade, and when I've used 5 it's been on unreliable machines so I don't want to judge.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #8
Major Player

I have had the audio problem discussed with FCP 4.5.

So far I have not had any such problems with 5.0. Gotta say that the new Soundtrack Pro is the Bee's Knees.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Make sure all tracks A and V are selected before nesting and you shouldn't have any problems.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite