DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 8th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Someone convince me to switch to FCP from Premiere Pro

I need some good reasons to switch from NLE on PC using Premiere Pro 1.5 to a Mac G5 (which I don't already own) using Final Cut Studio 5 (that comes with Soundtrack, Motion, and DVD Studio)

I'm contemplating on buying the $1700 Premiere Production Studio that comes with Photoshop, but I've been looking into buying a G5, Final Cut Studio, and Photoshop for the Mac.

Have any of you done this or can you provide me with Pros/Cons of switching (assuming cost is not an issue)?

.. also, I'm currently using SD, but I want to option to go HD if I want to. I'm using a VX2100 and a XL1s. Not currently interested in 24p either
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Just a few thing off the top of my head. I noticed that PPro 2 has multicam, FCP can mix a lot more sources I think 128 and show 16 in real time compared to PPro's 4. FCP has its own version of the new dynamic link in that you don't have to render out Motion or LiveType projects, just import the project file into FCP and when you make changes they are updated automatically. Others will have more to say about the Intel switch and all that but this should get you started.
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the input Nate, I've used the Premiere Pro 2 demo and played around with the Multicam editor and I wasn't very impressed. I was more impressed with FCPs multicam just by watching the video on their Web site.

Have you used any of the color correction features in Final Cut Pro?
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Not to add to your troubles, but have you considered Avid Xpress Pro as well?
On a side note, one of the nice things about it is that it comes with both a PC and Mac version
Ari Shomair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #5
Major Player

No, I haven't... but I'll take a look. THe reason I am considering FCP so much is because I've used it before and it worked well for what I needed. This was version 4 I think, and it was on some old hardware. I havn't used it long before selling my old G4 because of money problems. I've recently gotten back into NLE 10-fold, and Premiere Pro 1.5 was OK, but I was didappointed in the new 2.0 that was just released (been using the demo for about a week)
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #6
Major Player

I've done some colour correction with the three way filter. It works out nicely and plays in real time.
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The best way to convince yourself would be to buy an HVX200. Then you'd have sunk a lot of money into a camera that Premiere doesn't support, and that FCP supports best for now.

But you answered your own question, no? "I've used it before and it worked well for what I needed." What could be more convincing than your personal experience? Or do you need to justify this to a spouse? ;-)
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Well, not so much a spouse as my own checkbook!! It just hurts shelling out $5 large for new hardware and software, when you have a solution that "works" and there's no good reason to switch... except for what you mentioned with the HVX200
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #9
Major Player

I've finally decided to switch. After watching multiple videos on FCP, and after dealing with 100s of bugs in the Premiere Pro 2 tryout, and a corrupted project on PPro 1.5, and the unfamilliar Vegas interface with the titler I can't stand... I'm getting a PowerMac G5

Thanks everyone for your input, I look forward to getting my mac and FCP Studio... should be coming in a week or so. Hopefully in a couple of months I can afford to throw in a copy of After Effects 7 pro/mac, I can't wait for that one!
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #10
Major Player

I think you will be happy with your decision. I switched over from PPro 1.5 back in June and i think it was one of my best decisions. I was trying to do a few small things in PPro 1.5 tonight. I felt like there were so many hurdles that aren't there in FCP. FCP might take a day, week, or month to get used to, depending on how much NLE experience you have and how much you work in it, but once you get the hang of things... you won't look back.
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #11
Major Player

I agree - you'll really enjoy it. I switched in August last year and it was definitly the best decision I ever made (video wise anyway). FCP has been stable, reliable, and it has met all expectations.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks all

Nick,

I am in the same boat, I have the full premiere suite and a fast pc. I have issues that are frustrating at times and I am also considering the change over to a g5.

After reading this thread it makes my decision a little easier.

gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
Thanks everyone for your input, I look forward to getting my mac and FCP Studio... should be coming in a week or so. Hopefully in a couple of months I can afford to throw in a copy of After Effects 7 pro/mac, I can't wait for that one!
Nick,

Do you own a copy of AE for Windows? If so, you can do a cross-platform upgrade to the mac version. It's not much money and you don't have to spend the $$ on a whole new application. It's quite nice.
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #14
Major Player

Unfortunately I don't... I just played around with the demo twice (when it ran out on my desktop, I loaded it on another laptop). I really didn't like it as much as Final Cut (or Premiere for that matter)
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I say its not the Bow its the person who uses it, any tool you use is and extension of your abilities.....once you realize that PPro doesnt meet your abilities then begin to look for a new program.....if your asking for a reason to switch/use FCP then i dont think you really need to get FCP
if you have a Mac already then FCP would be a good choice....since PPro2 isnt even available for Mac. Part of the reason i use FCP is i already had a MAC doing graphic design work.....starting getting into video stuff used iMovie needed something to suit my abilities as they progressed, used FCP express and then progressed to FCStudio. Hope this helps
Kevin Calumpit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite